A different water pressure problem | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss A different water pressure problem in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Paulus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Guys

I went to look at a job tonight, full bathroom refurb. There is an existing electric shower but, as they have a Valliant combi boiler, I suggested that they do away with it and have a thermostatic shower valve as the combi will supply sufficient pressure.

Water pressure at the hot taps is good, water at the cold taps is good. When I turned on the hot tap and then the cold, the hot water reduced to little more than a trickle. Mains water pressure is around 3 bar.

I have never come across this before, has anyone got any ideas as to what may be wrong please?

poor flow rate into the property. Could be a valve not fully open, minor blockage somewhere. undersized pipes etc. We get it a lot around here with old galvanized mains that have furred up over a period. I've had flow rates as low as 3 l/min from the cold main.

Hi Guys

I went to look at a job tonight, full bathroom refurb. There is an existing electric shower but, as they have a Valliant combi boiler, I suggested that they do away with it and have a thermostatic shower valve as the combi will supply sufficient pressure.

Water pressure at the hot taps is good, water at the cold taps is good. When I turned on the hot tap and then the cold, the hot water reduced to little more than a trickle. Mains water pressure is around 3 bar.

I have never come across this before, has anyone got any ideas as to what may be wrong please?

There's a big difference between standing pressure and working pressure Paulus! I'm guessing you checked standing? Standing really just checks what you can have without any restrictions. Working pressure & flow rate, as mike says, is much more important in finding out IMHO! :)

There's a big difference between standing pressure and working pressure Paulus! I'm guessing you checked standing? Standing really just checks what you can have without any restrictions. Working pressure & flow rate, as mike says, is much more important in finding out IMHO! :)

It was working pressure I checked at garden tap with cold water tap in kitchen on.

It was working pressure I checked at garden tap with cold water tap in kitchen on.

Interesting :) Then cold working is okay but hot is compromised I'd be thinking ... Boiler issues that may be a blocked up filter, flow restrictor or plate hex? take your pick:) even supply pipe out to hot taps Paulus ... I'd be wanting to check the hot water flow pressure and rate on max next I think !!

I'm not gas safe and don't touch boilers but the customers have a service contract. I think I'll recommend that they have the service company check it out and earn some of this money that is paid to them every month.

I'm not gas safe and don't touch boilers but the customers have a service contract. I think I'll recommend that they have the service company check it out and earn some of this money that is paid to them every month.

Just a thought! Make sure someone hasn't turned down the iso on the boiler inlet! If the pressures that good then maybe someone restricted the flow through the boiler just to pacify the custard and get them hot water??? :)

The pressure drop is only to the hot water and only when I run the cold water at the same time. With the cold off, the hot water pressure is excellent. I'm thinking boiler problem or restricted flowthrough boiler as diamondgas says.

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks. I'll try to find a hard copy as I...
Replies
Views
V
  • Question
As above, and did you check the suitability of...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Sorry for the delay in replying, I had an...
Replies
Views
Back