A quick price check | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss A quick price check in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny Rico

Hello all,

I'm here for your wisdom and advice.

I'm getting my house renovated, and the builder's plumber offered the following:

To change a lead pipe that comes in to my house (point is in kitchen), to outside (mid driveway). The driveway is already dug up and the pipe is exposed. Distance to run is between 5m and 10m. The pipe outside is steel.

He proposed to change the lead pipe to a blue plastic pipe. He said it will give much better pressure and is safer (considering the existing pipe is lead).

He said it will cost between £400 a £500.

Is this a fair price?

If he is supplying the materials then its probably not a bad price. Depends how far the run is, how long he thinks the job will take to do, cost of materials. Cant really say without seeing the job. Every job is different.
Blue poly pipe is the only stuff to use these days.
You have to remove the lead because if you cut into it you run risk of contaminating the water supply/ lead poisoning.

It's a lot cheaper now that the driveway is dug up and the pipe exposed.

You may have had a plumber that didn't inform you, and when you have moved in and re- done the driveway, the pipe lets go.
It would probably cost you triple that amount to replace then.

Don't be too harsh on him - he has given you his advice and an estimated cost.
It not bad advice and you may consider it a good thing he has suggested you replace the pipe while in the process of the renovation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Employ a plumber he will freeze the pipework...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
Contact your water supplier and tell them...
Replies
Views
A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
the Same position for meter but riser outside...
Replies
Views
im going for another cracked hx.
Replies
Views
Back