a year old condensate boiler shut down | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss a year old condensate boiler shut down in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

glasgow guy

fitted an ideal logic boiler last may the customer then phoned me to say that they had the gas board out to service her boiler on thursday and they had shut it down because of the way in which the condensate pipe had been ran. it was in a flat where space was tight i used a washing machine waste hose toget behind a unit and they shut the boiler down saying this was illegal? it was news to me as in the manufacturers instructions it says must be installed using plastic which the hose is? has anyone ever came across this?

and now is very likely they have riddor you mate , I use condense pipe and the terminate it with strap boss after the trap !
how many boilers have you fitted like this ???how many boilers have you install ?

washing machine waste hose as in grey corrugated flexible? they're rubber mate.

fitted an ideal logic boiler last may the customer then phoned me to say that they had the gas board out to service her boiler on thursday and they had shut it down because of the way in which the condensate pipe had been ran. it was in a flat where space was tight i used a washing machine waste hose toget behind a unit and they shut the boiler down saying this was illegal? it was news to me as in the manufacturers instructions it says must be installed using plastic which the hose is? has anyone ever came across this?

Does seem odd, i've fitted boilers that actually come supplied with this kind of hose to connect the boiler to the condensate pipework.

i have installed 2 like this and on other boilers the connection is like a waste hose so i thought it would be okay,spoke to another gas board engineer who had never came across it

Cant see why they shut the boiler off, how could this be ID, at the worst i'd have said NCS

Cant see why they shut the boiler off, how could this be ID, at the worst i'd have said NCS

I have to agree may be not the best way to do it but as said I've seen boilers come with that same kind of tube

notthe best way to terminate a conden pipe but its ncs at best bg just being pedantic after all i have seen them do some terrible fits

probably being pedantic because they hadn't thought of doing it that way lol.

The internal condensate on Worcesters is made from from what looks like W/M hose,I'm sure it's nothing special.As above,not the best thing to use but it's hardly dangerous.

The internal condensate on Worcesters is made from from what looks like W/M hose,I'm sure it's nothing special.As above,not the best thing to use but it's hardly dangerous.
Beat me to it I was just about to post the same

the daft thing is we phoned ideal and they said there is no reason why i couldn't be done like this but they would always try and recommend 32mm which isn't always possible. thanks for all the reply's

the daft thing is we phoned ideal and they said there is no reason why i couldn't be done like this but they would always try and recommend 32mm which isn't always possible. thanks for all the reply's

If they say it's ok then no problem get them to email you this in writing then your sorted

washing machine waste hose as in grey corrugated flexible? they're rubber mate.

You get plastic ones, if fact I can't remember seeing a rubber one. This is a ridiculous situation and cannot make an appliance unsafe. Does it say in the MIs ridgid pipe? Doubt it. Not something I have ever done myself but I have taken the flexi supplied by the manufacturer and kept hold of it just in case I can use it. Now is that allowed ie not using a supplied part.

Surely common sense can apply here. If the said hose can carry condensate safely, is internal and at the appropriate fall what is the fuss about.

only thing id question is if it was securely clipped in a way to stop any sagging causing the pipe to block

if i remember the only condense pipework guidlines reguarding material is non metalic material, must be able to handle the acid levels present. It suggests normal plastic waste pipework is the best option. I see no reason why your install is at fault, if its cliped correctly and has the correct fall then i would refuse to change it and request BG send a report to the customer explaining why it has been turned off, especially if manufacture has said its fine.

get a written response from the manufacture to back yourself up.

when you think about it baxi,worcester and axedeal i mean ideal:81: use rubber hose to connect heat exchanger to the trap

Last edited by a moderator:
The hose on Viessmans is that grey flexi plastic with a rubber end that just push fits onto overflow, I thing that BG have been harsh, but the customer will belive BG as they are the best.....:biggrin5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I would suggest a Grant registered engineer to...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
https://hhic.org.uk/uploads/5BD6D5A19764A.pdf...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all, A friend of mine no longer needed a...
Replies
Views
malex83
M
In principle it's should not drip but in...
Replies
Views
Back