Abestos water tanks | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Abestos water tanks in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

E4gas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Dos any plumbers come across these cold water storage tanks , I saw my 4 th one today , are they a Health hazard or still ok if not moved about,

Yeah i come into contact with them quite reguarly round this way in older properties. i disconnect and leave in place or remove them completly depending on what the customer pays for.

Took one out a year ago, phoned counsil, they said if we double bubble wrapped it we could take it to the local tip, so we did, guy at the tip told us to take it to this certain bin, which we did, but it wouldnt fit in, told the guy who went and got a hammer and smashed it up!!!!!

From what ive been told there not that bad as they are the concrete type of asbestos not fibre, but still would just leave them in place!
have seen builders paint them with oil based paint and relocate them to the corner of the loft when doing changeovers.

It's not going to kill you unless you smash it up. Asbestos isn't poisonous, you can eat it if you want, its the fibres which get stuck in your lungs you need to worry about. Plus water is the best thing you can put on asbestos to stop the fibres from becoming airborne, so the chances are the inside at least, will be pretty safe. I've got an asbestos corrugated garage roof, but still go in there all the time because its not being disturbed.

On the other hand, apparently, they reckon more people will die in future years from asbestosis or related diseases after the twin towers got hit, then the amount who died in the initial incident so I was tole, being made in the 60's the place was full of the stuff :(

We got a whole estate of them, all in the airing cupboard as the roof space is to small to put them in, an absolute pain to take out because of the weight but the people get a nice cupboard space afterwoods

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
They generally have the same size thread. 3/4"...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The most likely explanation for what you are...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes it would have been better to take the feed...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
I have a hot water slab leak which is found...
Replies
Views
drpepper68
D
Back