Access 12m height for flue | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Access 12m height for flue in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I need to get to a horizontal flue while
Replacing a boiler.
It’s on the 3rd floor and about 12m high
Higher than my triple extension and seems to be higher than most for sale.

Any ideas other than a scaffold?

Hiab if you have one locally or tower or do the rope trick

Thread the rope through the flue tie a bottle to the end of a rope long enough and pull it from inside eg through the flue hole

It’s a back garden with no access so any kit will have to go through the house.
I May be able to do it from inside, just need a back up plan.

What ever the situation, 12m up is way beyond the realms of expectations!!!

Scaffold is the only solution, and being 12m, a fairly substantial scaffold.

No return from a 12m fall!!!!

Might be speaking out of turn but does your insurance cover you working at that height?
A lot are 10 Mtrs. Max.

Can the flue (presume this is a standard terminal on a horizontal flue you want to get at) not be installed from inside?

Failing all the above suggestions I would ask a high access company to provide someone for the day and get them to do an @rpm. Absail into position and you'll be there nice and safe inside pointing and explaining.

Some of these firms are brilliant in this regard and all you really need is another pair of hands and a bit of skill with a trowel?

Might be speaking out of turn but does your insurance cover you working at that height?
A lot are 10 Mtrs. Max.

Can the flue (presume this is a standard terminal on a horizontal flue you want to get at) not be installed from inside?

Failing all the above suggestions I would ask a high access company to provide someone for the day and get them to do an @rpm. Absail into position and you'll be there nice and safe inside pointing and explaining.

Some of these firms are brilliant in this regard and all you really need is another pair of hands and a bit of skill with a trowel?
Good point
I will have to check

I would love the chance to try a jet pack! :cool: Do they do a hands free version?
They will do one day and I'm ready for it!
1595501593534.png

A lot are 10 Mtrs. Max.

Only insurance worth checking on on this one is 'Life Insurance'.

Mind you, if your Insurance allows you to work 10 metres above ground level from a ladder and you do have a mishap,
you might become posthumously famous and have a new regulation named after you.

Scaffold needed Scott one slip at 12 m bud and you will be hospitalised I speak from experience in my 20's it happened to me a year off work and a busted leg and liver damage from the fall a month in hospital not worth the risk bud , regards kop

I`d rather go down from above than up a ladder however getting me up above and out is a different matter! :D

Either fit the flue from the inside, can be easily done and some manufacturers allow the rubber seal instead of cementing. Then cement up the inside. Or get a scaffold, customer pays or don’t do the job. Don’t risk your safety to save a random customer a few hundred quid.

Sore topic, many flues around here at height arent event cut to size never mind sealed externally. Almost all customers chase lowest quote and doing the flue properly at height can double the cost of the install! The simplest method below can still be quite tricky if you already have standard flue hole and trying to core a bigger one over it.

150mm core hole, flue cut to size, fit the collar and push through
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld1PWjxQ7aM&feature=emb_title

Technical Bulletin 152 from Gas Safe with above method - third diagram on attached image

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    339.8 KB · Views: 11

Similar plumbing topics

Or raise the cistern
Replies
Views
I took those photos! Looks like the only...
Replies
Views
P
As above through the roof. Also I doubt that...
Replies
Views
Hello, Ben this is what I thought as it seems...
Replies
Views
Atag let you go for the 600mm clearance away...
Replies
Views
Back