Adding radiators to gravity hot water system. | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Adding radiators to gravity hot water system. in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

A customer of mine has a coal fire with back boiler that gravity feeds a hot water cylinder. The pipes between the two run partially through the kitchen where a small radiator has been added. The house is a dormer bungalow with a bedroom/bathroom conversion in the loft, the F&E tank has been fitted high in the apex of the roof void. The customer wants to know if 2 extra radiators, 1 small 1 medium size, can be fitted in the loft conversion so these rooms would get heat when the fire is lit. A pump would have to be fitted and some sort of control system but in general is this feasible? He told me a plumber, who did the plumbing of the bathroom conversion, said it could not be done. I do not see why not other than the fact that maybe the heat output from the coal fire may not be sufficient.

Sounds feasible in theory as on a lot of old systems, the bathroom rad is fed from the circs. But these radiators always seem to gather more sludge build up and trapped air for some reason. As you will be the one at the end of the phone to solve any future problems "feasible in Theory" doesnt give much confidence. I would be tempted to advise installation of electric / oil filled rads.

The back boiler when supplied would have information to advise on it's maximum capacity output. You need to do the calculations based on room size, window size (if any) radiator sizes for all those already fitted and to be fitted. If these are within the capacity for the boiler, as with any other then it should heat the room. the problem of course is that you don't specify which type of back boiler so it could most likely be cost effective to replace it with a gas combi.

Thanks for the advice, the boiler is 40 years old so unlikely to have any paperwork left but I will ask. I will check with building control but I think you may only need building control for fitting of the fire and boiler, adding radiators may not need building regs. I will advise that it can be done but depending on the heat output of the boiler will depend on how well they will work.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Many thanks John I had already bought two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Dab easy sys tank and pump, 210-250 unvented...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Thanks for the comments fowlerboi. Like you I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
On the time to wash per dog, one minute would...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
I believe most kitchens come with a clause...
Replies
Views
Back