Advance button not working... | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advance button not working... in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

K

karenb

Hi there,

Please can someone help. I have a Drayton Lifestyle dual channel programmer which has suddenly decided not to work properly.

The heating and hot water both switch on OK (at different times), both morning and evening. However, if I need to turn on the heating during the day (i.e. when the normal timed programme is off), the advance button doesn't work. Weirdly though, it will switch on if I also advance the hot water.

Does anyone have any advice, please? We had this problem last year and were told that we needed a new three-port valve which was installed at a cost of over £250 (but this still didn't solve it).

Any help would be great, please!!

Thanks,

Karen

I think your programmer may be setup wrong - I think there black nodes on the back which change how the advance buttons work for different systems ie gravity etc etc. I'm not 100% sure but I have had this in the past with different programmers when I have installed them. You'll have to get somebody in though cause the clock will need to come off the wall.

The heating and hot water both switch on OK (at different times), both morning and evening.
Are the CH and HW times completely independent?

This suggest that they are not:

Weirdly though, it will switch on if I also advance the hot water

a new three-port valve which was installed at a cost of over £250
You were ripped off!

First, remove the Lifestyle from the wall (Turn off the power then undo the screws on the underside and hinge upward to remove) On the back of the timer there is a link which can be in either the P or G position. Make sure it is in the P position.

If it is already in the P position, check that there is a wire connected to terminal 1 (the terminals are labelled: N, L, 1, 2, 3, 4). If no wire to terminal 4, that is part of the problem.

If you have to change it from P to G, replace the timer, turn the power on and try again.

Please report your findings.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yes, the CH and HW are on completely separate timings.

I have just removed the unit and all looks OK - link is in the 'P' position, wires connected as follows:

N - blue
L - brown
1 - green/yellow
2 - left blank
3 - black
4 - white

So, I then replaced the unit, switched on, hit the advance button (the CH and HW are cuurently off timed) and, hey presto, the CH comes on. Weird.

Could it be that 'rebooting' the unit sorted it? We had exactly the same problem a few months back; advance button for CH wouldn't work then, it just started working again.

Thanks for the help, anyway!

Karen

Thanks for making me feel better....... but what do you do when an engineer from a 'reliable' established firm tells you that's what it costs.

I'm not a plumber, am new to the area so don't have a recommendation.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am trying to link a Hive heating & hot...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
Replies
Views
Thanks Shaun! Never thought the timer could be...
Replies
Views
Have you turned the thermostat up, or checked...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back