Advice about Wireless Heating & Hot Water Controller | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice about Wireless Heating & Hot Water Controller in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

S

SCGH

Hi all.

This is my first post, so bear with me. I have just moved into a new house, and the setup is very different to what I am used to, and is a bit frustrating.

I have a British Gas UP1 unit. It is located at the back of a cupboard upstairs, and is really difficult to access.

I also have a British Gas ES1 thermostat in the hallway.

I want to have the ability to easily change the hot water settings, and more importantly the heating settings. So, I want something to be located in the hallway beside the ES1 thermostat.

I have heard that I might be able to set the UP1 to be always on, and use a wireless unit in the hallway, therefore giving me everything I need. I have also heard that I might even be able to get one that is compatiable with my iPhone, so I can turn the heating on before I even get home.

My questions are:
1). Can I get a wireless unit that is compatible with my UP1 - or will I need to replace the UP1?
3). Can I setup the wireless unit on my own, or do I need a heating engineer to set this up?
4). What costs will I be looking at?
5). Will I end up keeping the ES1 also?
6). Is it worth trying to get something that works via a smart phone app?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

You can buy a GSM unit that has two relays on board you can operate from your Mobile, turn the heating on and off and the house lights, from anywhere in the World, it will still work in parallel with your BG standard time switch, you will need some one to wire it, it's probably about as cheap as they come about £150.00, you will need a Sym card Tesco do one PAYGO about £10.00 and you are going to call it so the £10.00 you put on the card will last forever. I will be back in a mo with a site for you.

Tony

If you want bells and whistles there are other up to about £500

Here you are

http://www.audon.co.uk/gsm_alarm/gd04.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thanks! This is a really good option for us. How long do you think I would need a Plumbing Engineer (?) to install it? 1 hour?

Wondering what other options I have. Is there a wireless unit that I can have in my hallway, if I didn't go with the GSM unit?

As long as he aware of how to wire it, I can do a drawing for you when you get it, a friend of mine fitted one, when you have installed it and inserted the card there is a website to set it up FOC, give you all the parameters,when you have fished the web site dials the unit and sends the setup and bam your done, go to Spain for your Hols and you can turn it on at the airport on the way back so you have hot water, you can use the other channel for something else if you wish. There is all manner of things on the market, anyone who was interested could set up a small business installing these, I am much too old now.

Tony

http://www.david.jablotron.cz/gd-04/

programming page

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

That is true - however with Vaillant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you search online for the manual of your...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
Yes the Siemens would bind to the boss one, I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back