advice for boiler relocation | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss advice for boiler relocation in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newbie1

going to look at a job and could do with some advise
open vent syst with boiler in upstairs cupboard with flue going out via loft to roof

now use same location and have flow and return allready just need new gas and try and run condensate and flue

or relocate to garage
gas meter easy access/condensate easy run/flue again easy run
now can i just run the flow and return off the boiler to first rad in the hall and cap off the flow and return in the cupboard??
will this work or am i over simplifying this

please only constructive advice as to best solution

if it was me i would keep it in the same place whats the customers view

is it yplan or s plan?you can not just conect flow and return to nearest rad pipework,are you gas safe reg,what is your background regarding heating design,

no just doing my acs and will be working with a gasafe engineer and havnt seen the layout yet as stated looking for advise
i know its a vented with feed and expansion in loft
what are my options with both s plan and y plan

If the flow and returns are 22mm then its possible to connect in else where. Is this a combi boiler going in as you will need to consider hot water cylinder etc.

Be aware system will need rebalancing.

I would stick boiler back where it was if it were me.

Youc can get a condense pump and take condense up into loft and into stack if internal. If external I have just popped out the eaves and into stack.

no not combi keeping it as a regular syst with f@e and cylinder not convinced combis allways offer the best option

I would agree. In that case I would definately use existing position.

The old primaries will be piped up to the motorisation. So moving the boiler will require a seperate return back to the boiler. Then you are looking at moving the position of the Feed and Vent unless you are sealing the system.

i like pluckys advice!
if its easier to put it in the garage, and frees up house space, and your client approves, stick it in the garage.
you could always close the system and pressurize it to same pressure as existing system.
you would need to find the primary main circuit and join into that tho, as you know you couldnt feed it into the nearest rad piped up in 10mm

good luck
shaun

was hoping to move to garage and come in with 22mm flow and return take up boards in hall and find the flow and return and tee into them
i think at present the boiler just has the flow and return going into it in the cupboard so was going to trace them back and remove them at suitable t point
the cylinder with the rest of the pipework is not in the same cupboard so my logic was all i am doing by moving it to garage is moving where it enters the syst
as normally you run 22mm to the first rad then into 15mm
i guess my main question is does it matter where the f/r that leave the boiler enter the sytems pipework as the live/s live from pump will tell the pump when to start pumping and its on 1 big circuit
thks for taking time to read this

whats so wrong with keeping it in the same place sounds like it will save alot of trouble

If you tie your ladders and use comman sense you'll be fine. If you dont intened going up roof how do you intend on making good the old flue hole?

this is a real old boiler it uses flue pipe with the hoover connection to the roof terminal and complete with cement at the boiler and real nice silver tape on the joints
actual boiler swap no big deal flow/return minor adjustments and new 22mm supply from meter to outside wall into loft and down to the boiler just really need to run vertical flue out roof with a upstand planning to get a experienced guy and learn from him

is it just me? or does this not sound like a gravity system ?? in which case a lot changes i'm thinking the quote pipes just go up to cylinder etc.. is there 4 pipes on boiler newbie1? and feed and vent straight into circs at cylinder? usually feed to return vent on flow? this sounds about right for an open flued boiler going to a ridge tile. in which case stick the boiler where you want and quote for an upgrade! but make sure it is first.. hope that helps

no def only flow and return to the boiler it has a potterton prima c at moment

no one has ask what is up stairs where the boiler is now,bedrooms bathroom.
this boiler is open flue which needs incoming ventilation .
for the cost of a few mtrs of pipe and cables put the boiler in the garage.safer.
stick a frost stat in and some lagging job done.

one question newbie if your son is gas safe cant you pick his brains, or you like ours better.also if your going to the job tomorrow your gas safe plumber should have this sorted

all the best mate

he was meant to come to the job and look but couldnt make it so i went
to actually confirm open flue i would have to see the terminal on top of roof and i aint getting up there
i know it was condemmed some time ago because of lack of ventilation but she doesnt have the sheet it could have been just cooling vents not neccssry comb air
anywat decided to leave in situ and run flue out through tile with an upstand

Your an engineer and you cant tell if the boiler is an open flue or not?

no ime training to be an enginner and learning and tbh there is a boiler at the training center that looks open flue but in fact is not but can only be determined by the terminal
i do not and never will do any unsupervised gas work
this was a favour for a friend at work and as soon as poss i will get one of 2 engineers i can work with to carry out a full assesment
i was merely having a visual look to see whats required and asking the opinion of some qualified people

no probs i am trying to learn as much as poss over the year while working unpaid on my days off for local housing authority and the newer boilers are all reasonably straight forward with fan assisted room sealed flue but its the older stuff that only comes with experience and the moment i looked at this one it raised too many questions especially since it was condemned due in a cupboard by bg and my experience of single and twin wall flues is very basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks guys. Just finished and managed to set...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
Finally (I hope) got to the bottom of this...
2 3
Replies
Views
In principle it's should not drip but in...
Replies
Views
Back