Advice needed - can't get system working!! | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice needed - can't get system working!! in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

mattgrange

Called to a customer's house today they were reporting no heating and lukewarm hot water.

It's a Y plan, fully pumped system

The boiler's working fine. The flow pipe is getting red hot up to the diverter valve and when calling for heat & hot water or hot water only the flow pipe into the cylinder coil gets very hot. The return from the cylinder coil never even gets warm. The pipe coming from the heating side of the diverter valve gots slightly warm in heating & hot water mode, but in heating only gets very hot. The radiators begin to warm up but VERY slowly. The return above the boiler never gets above cold!

The system has had a new diverter valve in the last few months and a new pump about a year ago (not fitted by me?)

Any thoughts please???

Called to a customer's house today they were reporting no heating and lukewarm hot water.

It's a Y plan, fully pumped system

The boiler's working fine. The flow pipe is getting red hot up to the diverter valve and when calling for heat & hot water or hot water only the flow pipe into the cylinder coil gets very hot. The return from the cylinder coil never even gets warm. The pipe coming from the heating side of the diverter valve gots slightly warm in heating & hot water mode, but in heating only gets very hot. The radiators begin to warm up but VERY slowly. The return above the boiler never gets above cold!

The system has had a new diverter valve in the last few months and a new pump about a year ago (not fitted by me?)

Any thoughts please???
Pump ,"fitted last year" was probably 2003, is there one of those myson sludge catchers sorry I meant Air jecks fitted? theses can fill up with crap and block the flow from the boiler.
edit Ive just posted this while other people have posted about air jecks, this wasnt a go at anyone about fitting airjecks lol, theyve just come up with the same answer as me about a blocked vent/feed tee.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a blockage where the cold feed meets pipework. Cut vent and feed out and fit airjec is a solution or just renew tee where blockage is.

The system was drained and it refilled fine so can't be a blockage on the cold feed from the tank.

Can't see an air jec on it, although it could be under the boards. Have worked on a few on this estate and all appear the same setup and don't have them.

The system was drained and it refilled fine so can't be a blockage on the cold feed from the tank.

Can't see an air jec on it, although it could be under the boards. Have worked on a few on this estate and all appear the same setup and don't have them.

i had one the same a few weeks back......system filled fine but no circulation. i still cut out the neutral point which was 95% blocked so there was still enough room for the water from the f&e to fill the system.

Similar plumbing topics

Are you Gas Safe Registered? If not please...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Hi Tony How did you get on with your diverter...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Sounds OK so long as the heating system is...
Replies
Views
Back