Advice needed from the experts | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter TomLane
  • Start date
  • Replies 16
  • Views 214

Discuss Advice needed from the experts in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TomLane

I hope this question is allowed, please advise me if its not!

Firstly,

My brother is planning on having his boiler moved from downstairs to upstairs by our GSR installer we use for our gas jobs.

He's currently got a Vaillant, possibly under 10 years old. It was already installed when he moved in 3 years ago. Whilst he's not adverse to having the boiler replaced he queried whether it was possible to simply move a boiler or whether the boiler would develop problems from being moved?

Secondly,

I know this could open up a whole world of debate as with other threads regarding this topic but what are your recommendations for combi boilers. Our GSR has recommended either an Ideal Logic or Vaillant ecoTec.

Personally Id rather fit a new boiler rather than move a boiler. Moving a boiler always has the "well it worked before you touched it" clause and that's something I wouldn't entertain.
A new boiler will come with a warranty (5 years for either the Vaillant ecotec plus or Ideal Logic plus IIRC). Id go for the Vaillant but I'm Vaillant accredited so I'm not exactly neutral in that respect, although I've fitted the Logic plus combi models and have had no problems so far.

The boiler would need to be registered again if its moved,
in practice this probably never happens though.
it's on their head if its moved. You can take it out move it and it probably will be fine but its the what if it isn't. That can not be guaranteed by the gsr.
I certainly wouldn't offer any guarantees if doing so.

Weigh up the cost, you are paying for a boiler to be fitted have you got £800-£900 for it to be a new one?

i would have the logic

It's seven years in the Vaillant plus now. Rays doing some pretty good deals on them at the mo. Personally I'd have a long hard look at the condition of the boiler and decide from there.
If re fitting existing I would fit a condensate run at the same time to help with the eventual swap to a condenser.

Some of the Vaillants that were fitted 10 years ago are better than the new ones you can buy now. I woulnt give a modern condenser house room, and would not have any combi with a diverter valve - loads of new stuff is unrelaible and full of expensive components.

My friends in low places at British gas tell me that 6 years is all you get out of some
of the current modern boilers. I would move the old one. You can get exchange
replacement parts from Ignite Heat Spares for 25% of new stuff with a year
gtee. The new fit lot on here will castigate me but I am right ! Maybe some experienced
older c/h experts will back me up

centralheatking

Doing there course on the 12th April. Looks Like a bag of bolts compared to a vaillant. And why oh why is the flue off centre.

Some of the Vaillants that were fitted 10 years ago are better than the new ones you can buy now. I woulnt give a modern condenser house room, and would not have any combi with a diverter valve - loads of new stuff is unrelaible and full of expensive components.

My friends in low places at British gas tell me that 6 years is all you get out of some
of the current modern boilers. I would move the old one. You can get exchange
replacement parts from Ignite Heat Spares for 25% of new stuff with a year
gtee. The new fit lot on here will castigate me but I am right ! Maybe some experienced
older c/h experts will back me up

centralheatking

Nothing lasts forever, a lot of the older boilers (if they were fitted at the same time) will last longer than any modern boiler now, that's common sense really when you take into modern manufacturing techniques and our throw away society, still doesn't make it right, and it certainly wont make it any more efficient, no matter how many older experienced nod their heads in approval. :smilewinkgrin:

Why not? Makes the layout simpler and you just use the offset flue to set it central.

Doing there course on the 12th April. Looks Like a bag of bolts compared to a vaillant. And why oh why is the flue off centre.

You get the 45 degree to centralise it. Not a big issue

Why not. Extra cost of course. Most boilers now are swaps, and everybody apart from Intergas are central. There not as cheap as I thought they would be either.

It's not extra cost though. The offset flue is the same price as the standard flue.

its a choice of money, if they can afford it then its worth considering.
Lifespan of a boiler has alot of factors like install quality, use etc..... a boiler 6-7 years old is made simular to todays tbh. If you fit a new boiler its going to give peace of mind for 5 years with some boilers.

Can you please report back when you have done the course with you honest opinion
as info shared is a geat thing and all about why we are on here I think .. centralheatking
oing there course on the 12th April. Looks Like a bag of bolts compared to a vaillant. And why oh why is the flue off centre.

Thanks as always guys for the advice & feedback.

It really is appreciated.

I don't fit boilers as I'm not GSR so my product knowledge is limited on them so it is extremely helpful to me to be able to pick up what I can from you guys.

I have advised my brother, as I did originally anyway, that it would be a better idea as he does have the money available to replace the boiler.

Thanks again all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Is the newboiler a heat only boiler with a...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
True. Would have been fun otherwise - 5 zone...
Replies
Views
Heating repaired. Was the central heating zone...
Replies
Views
Back