advice needed on 2nd hand back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss advice needed on 2nd hand back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

broadis

hi - i am after some advice from you geniuses on here.
i currently have a baxi back boiler not sure of model etc and very old gas fire front looks like something that should be in the house of lords lol.
it has recently started making a roaring noise on occasions seems to be when its refiring (if you know what i mean).
i cannot afford new or to replace with a combi unit, but have seen 2nd hand baxis on ebay that are only a couple of years old with modern gas fire fronts, my question is
A)would i be allowed to install one of these (obviously not me personally - a gas registered fitter) ?
B)would if fit (was looking at - baxi bermuda sp firefront and 57/4m back boiler
C)how much should all of this cost roughly to change over the boiler and fire front.

many thanks in advance for any answers (ps im in swansea if anyone is looking for a job lol)

no you cant legally fit a second hand backboiler,and if yours is roaring something is very wrong stop using it and call out a gsr engineer sorry cant be more helpfull but thats the facts on your situation

you never know your luck , i would recommend getting a GSR to look at it first before you do anything as you may end up wasting a load of money you cannot afford , it may just need a good service or a new burner fitting perhaps ,good luck

many thanks for the quick responses - i thought as much - just have to get someone to have a look and hope it is not to bad.

many thanks lee

you should be ok parts are available and not to expensive, just tell the GSR its a BBU

The reason you can't fit a secondhand BBU, is, it is not efficient enough, to meet building regulations requirements and may have issues with sale of goods and services Act, as the secondhand gas appliances must be properly tested and maunfacturer instructions included to ensure it is fit for purpose, by the person selling it. The exisiting unit might be repairable.

Good Point Reg man I didnt even think of that , So the guy on ebay should be paying you or selling for scrap value

Most of the second hand stuff on Ebay is bought for spares. Don't consider having one fitted. Even if it can be, by the time it has been tested and checked out it will be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

How to light a pilot light! Press in the grey...
Replies
Views
No, but they do come apart pretty easy. In my...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
In principle it's should not drip but in...
Replies
Views
Back