advice needed on central heating | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss advice needed on central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saabuldin

I have drawn these so you could understand exactly what im talking about. The problem is my downstairs rads take too long to get warm and when they do get warm, it still does not warm up the rooms. Upstairs is perfect, gets warm quick. I have tried balancing but downstairs rooms just dont warm up. I think its because of the 10mm coming of 22mm pipes feeding downstairs. upstairs is all 15mm coming of 22mm.

the first diagram shows exactly my heating pipe work. the second and third diagram shows what im thinking of doing with the pipe work to sort this problem out. the second diagram is something i thought of so no pipe is visible in the backroom. the third diagram shows backroom pipes coming straight down the wall.

What do you think is the best thing i should do to get maximum heat equally spread downstairs and upstairs.

By the way downstairs hallway is small so it is not really a problem thats why i left that out. Kitchen im not too sure about yet.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• central heating diagram.jpg
    central heating diagram.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 24
  • central heating diagram ammended.jpg
    central heating diagram ammended.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 18
  • central heating diagram amended 2.jpg
    central heating diagram amended 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 18
Can you put the radiator dimensions - Height x width and whether they're singles, doubles and with or without convection.

Downstairs
front room 1000x400 double panel, double convecter
hallway 1300x600 single panel, single convector
back room 1800x600 single panel, single convecter
kitchen 800x 600 double panel, double convectoer

upstairs

front room 1800x600 single panel, single convecter
hallway 1400x600 single panel, single convector
back room 1400x600 single panel, single convector
bathroom 600x700 single panel, single convector

Or if someone can advise me exactly what to set each rad when balancing, it might do the trick. Thanks

tbh its hard to give advise looking at a basic line drawing. If it was me i would run 22 main flow and return, 15mm off the 22mm feeding no more than 2 rads with a pipe of 5-6m max. dont fit any micro bore unless you need to go behind plasterboard.

the above is a guess, but should work for most small installs. as for balancing, a quick laymans guide would be: turn your upstairs rads lockshields open 1/4 of the way. Turn your downstaris rads open from 1/2 way to fully open the further away you are from the boiler/pump. Turn the heating on and then any rads that hotter alot quicker than the others turn the lockshield closed alittle, any rads that take alot longer to get warm turn the lockshield open alittle more.

if you want to do it propa do a search on the forum for other posts and you will find some good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
So it’s 4am and after the noise woke me up...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Back