Advice needed re heating system and water pressure | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice needed re heating system and water pressure in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

D

dnl_303

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section. I am looking for some advice and opinions please, as I am no expert in plumbing.

My main problem is that I have very low water pressure because the house is mainly gravity fed from a tank in the attic and I would like to improve the pressure. At the moment, the water heating system is also gravity fed through a vented system, which also has a solar heater system linked into it. I was thinking that changing the cylinder to an unvented system would allow me to swap from gravity fed to mains fed and so improve the pressure....is this correct? Also, any idea what sort of money this would cost?

Also, the central heating boiler is pretty old, with brass mechanical valves that are quite noisy, but I understand still functioning very well, and I've been told these are more reliable than the newer combi-boilers. However, given the above, would it be easier to just switch everything to combi-boiler? And is there a way of working out a system that uses a combi-boiler linked to a solar-heater system?

P.S. I want to avoid the power shower route if possible, as would like to improve pressure for the whole house.

If there are any plumbers out there willing to come give me a quotation, then I'm based in Marden (Kent).

Many thanks,
Daniel

hello Daniel,
is the cold also from the stored tank?
if it is this may suggest a poor supply pressure.
a combi boiler or unvented cylinder will need a minimum flow and pressure,
so when someone contacts you they can check these details and advise what is best for your situation.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Yes, both the cold and hot water supplies are from the tank in the attic, and there is low pressure with both of them. However, the supply that fills the tank in the attic is mains fed and has very good pressure, hence why I thought of a system that feeds both cold water and hot water systems through the mains.

Cheers,
Daniel

Upvote 0
You can have a combi & a cylinder and proberly better off with unvented cylinder ! but you will more than likly have to put in a new water main , it can work out to be quite costly, your best option may just be a good quality combi, But you need to get people in to look at what you have got ! get at least 3 prices.

Upvote 0
A whole house universal pump could overcome this as well. Combi and Solar tends to be a bit problematic and a waste anyway as you still need the cylinder. Most of the time then there is one hot tap to be fed straight of the combi everything else runs of the cylinder.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks. I'll try to find a hard copy as I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would suggest getting a G3 plumber in to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
What type of cylinder do you have?
Replies
Views
Back