Advice on a water tank in the loft | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on a water tank in the loft in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

R

Russell Whiting

Hi, I'm looking for some preliminary advice, and grateful for any which can be given.

We live in a third floor flat which has awful water pressure from the mains. There is often no cold water coming through at all, which can last hours. We are looking at installing a water tank in the loft to help the situation, but I have a few questions which I wondered if people might have some info on before going on with the process.

1. What size tank would be needed usually? We have two sinks, bath and one toilet.
2. Would the loft beams usually need to be reinforced?
3. Would there be cost implications for filling up the tank from the mains rather than drawing it as and when?
4. In the unlikely event that there's no water and the tank empties, would this damage the system?

Thanks in advance!
Russell

Hi, I'm looking for some preliminary advice, and grateful for any which can be given.

We live in a third floor flat which has awful water pressure from the mains. There is often no cold water coming through at all, which can last hours. We are looking at installing a water tank in the loft to help the situation, but I have a few questions which I wondered if people might have some info on before going on with the process.

1. What size tank would be needed usually? We have two sinks, bath and one toilet. 230 Litres
2. Would the loft beams usually need to be reinforced? Yes
3. Would there be cost implications for filling up the tank from the mains rather than drawing it as and when? No
4. In the unlikely event that there's no water and the tank empties, would this damage the system? No

Thanks in advance!
Russell

But you need to seek the advise of a plumber & let them have a look before going ahead.

You may be able to have a special pump fitted to the mains supply which is limited to 12L/M flow rate. I take it all your water is currently off of the mains?

Thanks Chris.

We did get a pump fitted to the mains, which has helped increase the pressure, but obviously no good when there is no water coming from the mains.

Currently cold comes from the mains and we have a separate hot water tank.

You need to be particularily careful doing plumbing in flats where a leak could potentially damage flats below. (I am trying to avoid working in flats and connecting to old plumbing mainly for that reason tbh).
Also check that you have the right to install plumbing in the loft, as sometimes the loft is not your property.

Yes Thames Water came out and said there's a problem with the amount of water coming into the building. Something about the size of the pipe being far too small for the 16 flats using the supply. Neighbours say it's been raised with the freeholders but they aren't interested in fixing it.

You need to be particularily careful doing plumbing in flats where a leak could potentially damage flats below. (I am trying to avoid working in flats and connecting to old plumbing mainly for that reason tbh).
Also check that you have the right to install plumbing in the loft, as sometimes the loft is not your property.

Thanks. We have a plumber who has done other work for us (including fixing a leak which was going into downstairs). We would have to contact the freeholders as we're only lease.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thank you Shaun. Where would we have a gate...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for your advice I will get up into...
Replies
Views
Back