Advice on bath waste screws? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on bath waste screws? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Afternoon, our bath waste pipe in our rented property has started leaking slightly when we shower. We've narrowed it down to a loose screw in the centre of the plughole. My understanding is that this screw being loose means that water is able to leak out between the bath waste and the waste water pipe it connects to as the screw is not tight.

Unfortunately the head of the screw is completely mangled as it seems previous tenants have had the same issue and attempted to tighten the screw themselves. This means that we cannot get it to shift.

So, i've been out to Wickes to get a replacement bath waste kit (the overflow, plughole, and pipe that connects the two) with the intention of taking the central screw out of the kit and using it to reattach the EXISTING bath waste to the waste water pipe. This is because I don't really want to be messing around with any more of it than is necessary.

So my question is are the screws in the centre of the plughole fitting a standard length? Our concern is that we remove the old screw (We are ordering a damaged screw extractor kit) and then the new screw doesn't fit, rendering the entire bath/shower unusable as the old mangled screw will be presumably effectively destroyed by the removal process and unable to be refitted.

Cheers

As it's rented you'd be better off contacting the Landlord / Agent as if you do any damage they may try to bill you for all the costs.

The screws are fairly standard, BUT if it's jammed you may rip the nut out the collar that it screws into leaving the only solution then to change the complete waste.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Looks like a 35mm Male Iron threaded into that...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It was just a thought. I had the experience of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You’ve pulled the brass thread back into the...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This it not an ideal installation for the...
Replies
Views
Back