Advice on best new gas boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on best new gas boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
A friend of mine is thinking of replacing her gas boiler while she is having her kitchen redone.
I am not involved in gas, but wondered what boiler would be best for her long term and would like to know a few of the better boilers before she asks around.
I know this is often a matter of opinion.
I replaced the rest of the system less than 2years ago when the house got a large extension. The system is now sealed & has a separate expansion vessel & filter. Boiler is a standard non combi. Doesn't need to be a system boiler, but guess it would be handy to have circulating pump as part of the boiler, as old one has the pump below boiler behind kitchen units.
I tbh don't yet know the output needed, but it is a 4 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms and unvented cylinder. Likely near 30kw plenty.

It depends on what you optimise your choice for.

Cheapest at installation, or best value for money across the whole life?
Easiest to install? The engineer may care, but the householder won't!
Reliable, but hard to mend with expensive spares, or more likely to require mending, but easy to fix with relatively cheap spares?

Its like choosing a car - you have to trade off between a whole range of issues.

There is no "best" car, and there is no "best" boiler. Its not just that engineers opinions vary, its that punters needs and aspirations also vary.

I get the feeling that a Poterton Flamingo recommendation is a wind up! :smile:

Cost of new boiler purchase will be irrelevant to her. I think she will have the sensible approach and want a boiler that is as reliable as possible and last a good few years with decent repair costs etc.
Reason why I am asking is I know that us plumbers have different ideas, sometimes the wrong ideas about boilers. By that I mean some plumbers do not service or repair boilers and can be under an illusion that a certain make of boiler is best, when it actually is unreliable and costly long term.
The original gas boiler is an Ideal and she was told it is a good boiler, but it is fairly old and is not condensing.

Last edited:
Cheapest at installation, or best value for money across the whole life?
Easiest to install? The engineer may care, but the householder won't!
Reliable, but hard to mend with expensive spares, or more likely to require mending, but easy to fix with relatively cheap spares?

Okay, ideally a boiler that might cost a bit extra to buy, but is less likely to break down for years and is reasonable for parts.
That's probably asking too much and obviously there is no such thing as a boiler that can be certain to be reliable.

Baci Eco blue advanced. Dead sole to install and you can strip it apart in under 1 minute. It comes with 5 year warranty as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
What boiler eg make and model ?
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
Back