Advice on Boiler Location | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on Boiler Location in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikedr02

I've just moved house and are currently rennovating. I am having a mains gas supply installed and removing the fuel oil system. The old boiler is in the garage and I want to locate the new boiler in the downstairs cloakroom. I also want to install a shower in this room. Looking at the regs, you are allowed to locate a water heater within 0.6m of the shower. The fused spur for the boiler will be ouside the room. Will this conform to the required regs?

What are the details of the room? Is it particularly small or are you confined to physical outside wall space?

What make/model of water heater are you intending to use, or is it a Combi to supply the whole property.

Fan flued/Room sealed appliances are permitted in bedrooms/bathrooms providing they meet the installation requirements.

The room is @2mx1.5m and it will have an extraction fan (as per part p). I am probably going to fit a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 37CDi combi boiler?

The regulations for this situation is BS7671 (17th edition). It is under Part 7 special installations or locations.

The regulation gives a zone of what can a cannot be installed. Its split into zones 0, 1, 2.

Zone 0 is the interior of the shower for example.
Zone 1 is floor level and the horizontal plane corresponding to the highest fixed shower head or water outlet or the horizontal plane lying 2.25m above the floor level. The vertical surface from the outside of the shower 1.2m from the centre point of the fixed water outlet.
Zone 2 is floor level and the horizontal plane corresponding to the highest fixed shower head or water outlet or the horizontal plane lying 2.25m above the floor level. Vertical surface boundary of zone 1 and parallel verticle surface at a distance of 0.6m from the border of Zone 1.

RCD protection will be required on all circuits.

Worcester boiler will have a rating of IP4D with out the machanical programmer and be installed in zone 2.
bathroomzonediagram.jpg

Note: zone 3 is now refered to as outside zones.

Last edited:
Additional information on IP rating: Within Zone 0, no devices are allowed apart from suitable equipment and or insulated pull cords. In Zone 1, separated extra low voltage (SELV) devices are permitted. Any AC transformer supplying such a device must be located outside Zones 0–2. The minimum required ingress protection rating in Zone 0 is IPX7 and IPX4 in Zone 1 and 2. Otherwise, in outside zone and beyond, an ingress protection rating of IP20 is the minimum required. Equipment in Zones 1 and 2 must be protected by a 30 mA residual current device (RCD).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Fair point. There is a dearth of heating...
Replies
Views
M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
T
I had an electric boiler installed recently...
Replies
Views
Tom Duncan
T
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Back