Advice on boiler replacements quotes please! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on boiler replacements quotes please! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lottie14

I have 3 quotes for a replacement boiler. Prices vary, but I'm happy to pay more for a better service.

1. £2000 to provide a Vaillant Pro 28, condensing pipe to leave house by boiler and run along north elevation of property, flush system. One recommendation.

2. £2225 to provide a Worcester Bosch si30, run condensing pipe behind units and into sink waste pipe, power flush system. One recommendation.

3. £2100 to provide Worcester Bosch 30si (£100 more for 27CDi), run condensing pipe behind units into sink waste pipe, chemically flush system & notify Gas Safe for compliance certification. Extra £300 to power flush system. Three recommendations.

If anyone has any recommendations on the boilers suggested, whether to power flush or any other comments that would be great (I am a female with no idea).

The system is 12 years old and my radiators have always been hot all over, although an inhibitor has never been used and I do know the water is black (almost oily).

I have personaly always found the Vaillant Boilers to be reliable and easy (If they were to break) to fix.
I would certainly aim to have your condense pipe ran inside into the sink waste, as last year, during the really cold snap (When you need your boiler to work the most) There were thousands of cases of peoples condense pipes freezing up outside, causing the boilers to lock out. (They are only thin plastic pipes)

As far as powerflushing goes, it is normaly a requirement of the boiler manufacturer that this is done, prior to the instillation, to avoid invallidating the boilers warrenty. But it is a judgement call, and if you are going to be charged upwards of £300 for it to be done, but the system is clean as it is, or the warrenty only lasts 12 months - it may not be worth it. (Personaly I would always get it done, simply to avoid arguments with the manufacturer further down the line)
*The water being black is not really something to worry about, this will almost always happen to Central Heating water overtime. The problem is if it becomes thick and/or there is sludge deposits inside the radiators.

A Cheaper option may be to have a Magnabooster fitted at the time of instillation (Normaly costing you around £150 to supply and fit if done with the boiler) this will stop any magnetit entering the boiler as the water circulates around the system. It just needs emptying every year or so, either by you or an engineer at the boilers service.

As far as the recomendations go, who are they from? Can you go and see the instillations to see how neat and well done they are? Have these people ever had to call the engineer back to fix any problems? Will he/she give any workmanship garauntees?

Also to help better advise you - what type of system do you have? Do you have a Hot Water Cylinder in your Airing Cupboard, with Cold water tanks in your loft (An Open Vent Conventional System)
Or is your hot water heated directly from your boiler whenever you open up a hot tap (Sealed Combi System)

Last edited:
Really hard to say without seeing a job and knowing your heating / ho****er requirements - love to offer ideas but i think in terms of price I couldnt until i saw the job

As far as powerflushing goes, it is normaly a requirement of the boiler manufacturer that this is done, prior to the instillation, to avoid invallidating the boilers warrenty.

Most word it as needs flushing dosent speciffy powerflushing

If i were u go for the water fit loads get a magnaclean/tf1 fitted as well put a cleaner in week before the swap over and give good flush when draining for the refit

And uptill the 31 dec the Worcester Si"s carry a 5 year Gurannte for five years as long as its serviced evey year

Make sure the condense pipe stays inside as outside it will frezze when the cold weather bites

All systems need to be notified to Gas Safe on completion so the third is not selling you anything special, all the boilers quoted are very good and I personally fit 3 Worcesters a week. I would go for the worcester 30si internal condensate connection and powerflush. If you dont want the powerflush try them for a magnetic filter in place of it, Fernox TF1 is a good bit of kit.

some boiler manufacturers require a system flush to validate the warranty on a new boiler so it may be a necessity. I'd personally go for a vaillant ecotec plus 831 over a pro 28.

the power flush depends on the state of your system, so without looking it would be hard to say a bare min would be a flush with chemicals. i would ask for a magnetic filter to be fitted and you def want the condense fitted to the internal waste system to avoid frozen pipe problems outside.

have you checked there Gas Safe details ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
What I mean is that because everything works...
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
Back