Advice on Central Heating problems | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on Central Heating problems in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike C

Hi,

I have moved into a property and have a few questions about the central heating system. Forgive me if I don't supply all of the necessary information at first but it's my first post so let me know if any other info is required.

There is a boiler in the garage and a tank in an upstairs airing cupboard. 3 radiators upstairs in each bedroom and 4 downstairs. Everything seems to be working OK on the face of it, the heating comes on and hot water is supplied.

However there are a few issues I would like advice on if possible and really about things I might be able to do myself without damaging anything in anyway as it is not my system to damage.

(i) When the heating comes on it sounds like Niagra Falls, water can be heard very loudly apparently rushing around the system and radiators as if been pushed through at very high pressure. I have had a look at the pump and is is an 'Ideal' pump and looks to have 7 settings on it and it was set on 7. I have turned it down to 5 and things are a bit quieter with no apparent change. How low can I actually go in turning down the pump?

(ii) I noticed the pump feels quite hot to touch?

(iii) One of the radiator thermostats is broken and the radiator is stuck on max. It is in a small bedroom and doesn't really need to be used. Can it be turned off by any other means until repaired.

(iv) There is a wall thermostat in the hall. Is there a way to test it is working OK as the radiators seems to get very hot at whatever setting it is on and the heating goes on and off quite frequently whatever setting it is on. There doesn't seem to be a constant background heat heat in the radiators, they seem to rage, then go cold, then rage etc.

(v) The bolier is set to 'max', should it be?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

1.)the noise sounds like air and pump noise (system might need bleeding and pump setting up correctly)
2)the radiator can be turned off at the other valve on the other end of the rad. You need an adjustable spanner. (They do sometimes leak, so only do this if you feel confident) plus take not of how many turns it takes to turn it off)
3) The radiators are going raging hot to cold because the thermostats are sending the air temperature and shutting down. If a room is too hot turn the radiator thermostat down a bit till you get the right temperature you want in the room (do the adjustments over a few hours, no 3/4 is usally about 21c

4) it can be checked electrically by a competent heating engineer or electrician
5) should of been set up by the installer to maintain optimum efficency

My general advise would be get a heating engineer out to properly balance and service the heating system. Or if your in rental tell the landlord who won't give a monkeys as they only care about their wallet

4) it can be checked electrically by a competent heating engineer or electrician
5) should of been set up by the installer to maintain optimum efficency

My general advise would be get a heating engineer out to properly balance and service the heating system. Or if your in rental tell the landlord who won't give a monkeys as they only care about their wallet

Thanks for getting back and for the information.

Will it have any adverse effect if I turn the pump down even lower, it has 7 settings, was on 7 and I turned it down to 5

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
Back