Advice on connection between P trap and outlet | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on connection between P trap and outlet in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hello! Thanks so much for looking at my problem. I'm not a professional so I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.

My problem: I have a bathroom sink with a P trap that has an integrated flexible accordion-style section. Unsurprisingly, it leaks and stinks. It's also installed backwards. I know it needs to go. However, it does not connect directly to the larger diameter permanently installed pipe which protrudes from the wall. (I have heard this referred to as the outlet, but I am unsure of the term. Again, not a pro)

What I would like to know is if I can replace only the P trap, or if I also need to replace the pipe running back to the outlet to reduce the vertical distance between the bottom of the trap and outlet. Right now it is about 6 inches.

I will probably need to cut the pipe from the sink to the P trap to accommodate a real trap, but I wanted to get an idea of how much I'll need to change. I have attached a photo to better explain what the issue is. Will I need to raise the P trap so that the exit of the trap is the same height as the outlet?
20201125_193737.jpg
h
I am located in Michigan, USA.

Thanks so much for your time and help! I want to be sure I'm replacing this correctly.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
No but if it ever blocks down stream likely to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, just catching up on some threads. Have...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ben-gee All is fine now. Thanks for your kind...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply mate. I read somewhere...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Welcome! Could anyone offer their advice?
Replies
Views
Back