Advice on gas oil/kerosene conversation | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on gas oil/kerosene conversation in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi

I currently have 2 X Clyde Combustion oil boilers that run on gas oil. They are ancient, but work as they're supposed to.

Assuming parts are available, is it worth converting them to kerosene, as it's considerably cheaper?

Someone told me it's cheaper per litre, but I will use more?

Usage would more than likely be the same or near enough, not sure about the price of gas oil at the minute but in Essex it’s around 50ppl.
To be honest you may as well convert to Kero, because when you current boiler does pack up the new condensing boilers only run in Kero.
Not much good when you have a full tank of gas oil (which is more than likely to happen lol).

Usage would more than likely be the same or near enough, not sure about the price of gas oil at the minute but in Essex it’s around 50ppl.
To be honest you may as well convert to Kero, because when you current boiler does pack up the new condensing boilers only run in Kero.
Not much good when you have a full tank of gas oil (which is more than likely to happen lol).

Ok thanks for that - price here (North Scotland) is 58 ppl for gas oil against 48 for kerosene. Couple that with a 4000 litre tank and it makes a difference.

Just didn't want to do it if it means I use 20% more ....

Diesel fuel I believe has slightly more energy content per volume than kerosine.
Diesel is also for commercial or other large boilers as has ability to work at higher pressures.
It does burn more dirty than kerosine however.
What sort of output needed for your property?

Boilers are currently rated for a combined output of 130 KW (Actually 440000 BTU), and used to be a commercial property (now residential).

It probably wouldn't matter if this was reduced slightly, but the boilers' duty cycle is under 50% right now, which is probably why they've lasted 40 odd years.

Similar plumbing topics

Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone - Recently bought a house which is...
Replies
Views
S
The fusible wheel head valves are notorious...
Replies
Views
Are you able to install in London?
Replies
Views
N
Re: Zoning upstairs. If you don't have 1 set...
Replies
Views
Back