advice on getting a new boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss advice on getting a new boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rachel123

Hi our boiler has recently packed up its over 15 years old(we only mvoed in october) so we need to get a new one. I just dont want to get ripped off firstly,how do i find out what i really need for our house?
Its a 2 bed semi
Thanks

get three quotes and compare them.you may be eligible to take advantage of the government scrappage scheme,make sure the quotes include treatment of the system,trvs a room stat and programmer,remember also that cheap is not always cheerfull.HTH:)
SI

Thanks for that reply.
I dont want a cheap one i just dont want to be ripped off, the plumber who put all the radiators in really took the pi$$ with his prices and it was only after researching how much they really cost.
We've got someone coming out tomorrow so i will ask those things you mentioned. Our old boiler is a Vaillaint 242eh and apparently doesnt come up as 'G' even though british gas serviced it last year put its 15 + years and graded it 'D'

as i said,get three quotes,you will then be able to compare them,you may be advised that the new boiler needs re-locating to bring up to current regs,some times a boiler exchange is not as straight forward as you think.HTH:)
si

Hi, I have a similar issue. I have got three quotes but it is difficult to know which boiler is the best for the price. I've looked at review sites and, as usual I suppose, there are huge differences of opinion on the same boiler type.

Two of the three boilers I have been quoted are Keston C36 and Ferroli Optimax 38C. Whats the general opinion on these? And if they are rubbish, what would be the preferred boiler within this type of price range?

On all quotes none of the boilers have been quoted separately so I have no idea how much of the quote relates to the cost of the boiler!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi, I have a similar issue. I have got three quotes but it is difficult to know which boiler is the best for the price. I've looked at review sites and, as usual I suppose, there are huge differences of opinion on the same boiler type.

Two of the three boilers I have been quoted are Keston C36 and Ferroli Optimax 38C. Whats the general opinion on these? And if they are rubbish, what would be the preferred boiler within this type of price range?

On all quotes none of the boilers have been quoted separately so I have no idea how much of the quote relates to the cost of the boiler!

Thanks in advance for any help!
would not fit either,i would either recommend vaillant or worcester.
others may not agree but these would be my recommendations HTH:)
si

Hi r1200,Have sent you a private email with some comments on boilers and possible prices.We are not allowed to discuss pricing in the open forums.As someone mentioned be aware that very few jobs are 'straight swops'.If a boiler has to be moved clearly this is more expensive.Many boiler manufacturers REQUIRE a clean system or their guarantee is invalid.Anyway to fit a new boiler without cleaning the system would be pointless.A power flush is different to a chemical flush and can take a few hours to do correctly.An annual service is usually required for the guarantee to be valid.A Magnaclean may also be worth considering to keep system clean.Rachel can do same 4u if you think it might help.

Last edited:
Hi r1200,Have sent you a private email with some comments on boilers and possible prices.We are not allowed to discuss pricing in the open forums.As someone mentioned be aware that very few jobs are 'straight swops'.If a boiler has to be moved clearly this is more expensive.Many boiler manufacturers REQUIRE a clean system or their guarantee is invalid.Anyway to fit a new boiler without cleaning the system would be pointless.A power flush is different to a chemical flush and can take a few hours to do correctly.An annual service is usually required for the guarantee to be valid.A Magnaclean may also be worth considering to keep system clean.Rachel can do same 4u if you think it might help.

Thanks A1P - I haven't done enough posts to reply to your PM!

Is there a preference to a chemical or power flush? Only one quote mentions flushing and it is chemical.

Also - would you consider either the Ferroli or Keston as relegation candidates?!

Hi,Dont know about Keston but I have seen them knocked on various forums.As regards Ferroli Optimax they get mixed reviews and a lot of members would say do it once do it right,find the extra cash.However not everybody can or wishes to.There is the 5 year parts + labour if serviced annually and the provision that they are fitted on a clean system.As stated some specify power flushing,some may say flushing.For efficiency and cleanliness a 'proper' powerflush is best.If your radiators havent got many years sludge in them you might get away with less eg chemical.It is important to KNOW what your boiler manufacturer requires.Companies are known to be 'wriggly' on guarantees in some cases.I think their may have been a recent thread on powerflushing on the forum.Certainly it will have been on a few times.miketheboilerman has a site which talks sensibly about it.Finally,dare I admit this?! My parents have a ferroli 38c driving a 17 radiator system ,no probs. I am surprised , only 1 out of 3 mentioned flushing and that was chemical.Some plumbers would routinely assess the state of your radiators and how sludged up they are.Might be worth letting others quote ,see what they say without prompting.

being as you have been reccomended keston i guess you got quite a big house as most kestons are quite high output. borderline commercial

for a 2 bed semi a 24 kw combi would provide more than enough heat for rads and a reasonable not massive hw flow rate. A good compromise would be a baxi or remeha, worcester and vaillants are top end.

why not let people know where you are and you may get a quote from off the forum as well, after all your asking our advice and you dont know us any more than those quoting for you at present. good hunting

baxi duotec or potterton performa but stay well clear of ferrolis especially optimax right shed v unreliable

remeha quinta about 1200 quid. can be fine tuned to lower kw if required best large system boiler on market before you get to forced draught burner/boilers !

Fair point oldplumber - I'm down in Brighton. It's actually for a restaurant but there are only four radiators so a domestic boiler is enough. There is a tired old domestic Ariston combi there already. It's not quite a straight swap either - but please PM any interest and we can sort out the details later.

Appreciate the comments so far...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating...
Replies
Views
Back