Advice on linking wood boiler stove to existing oil fired system | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on linking wood boiler stove to existing oil fired system in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lenny

Hi,

Has anybody experienced linking a wood boiler stove to a oil fired central heating system? My client has picked up on this kind of set up via www.boilerstoves.co.uk the drawings on this website are very basic and don't give much of an idea.
The system for my client is for central heating only

1) should this kind of system have 2 independant pumps, one for the wood boiler stove and the other for the oil boiler.

2) If using the wood boiler stove on its own
should the water in the system be prevented from flowing through the oil boiler, and the same if the oil boiler is used on its own should it be prevented from running through the wood boiler stove.

The best idea I can come up with is for both boilers to have independant pumps with motorised valves that open when energised when the pumps are running, so if one of the boilers is not running, the water in the system will be prevented from running through the other.

If I'm a million miles away, any advice or comments would be appreciated

Len

thanks

1) should this kind of system have 2 independant pumps, one for the wood boiler stove and the other for the oil boiler.
YES
2) If using the wood boiler stove on its own
should the water in the system be prevented from flowing through the oil boiler, and the same if the oil boiler is used on its own should it be prevented from running through the wood boiler stove.
YES,FIT NON RETURN VALVES
The best idea I can come up with is for both boilers to have independant pumps with motorised valves that open when energised when the pumps are running, so if one of the boilers is not running, the water in the system will be prevented from running through the other.
FINE,BUT CONSIDER NON RETURNS,AND VENT AND COLD FEED NEED TO BE OPEN AT ALL TIMES,ALSO CH CWST MUST BE METAL,ALONG WITH THE BALLVALVE AND FLOAT
If I'm a million miles away, any advice or comments would be appreciated
beware,custard may be disappointed with a wood burner for ch,dont believe the crap they tell you on that site they dont work very well

Last edited by a moderator:
just wondering are you qualified to do this type of work as it is beyond me

i get building control in,legal way around hetas registration and my building inspector go,s trough everything with a fine tooth comb to be fair my old man taught me about solid fuel he trained as a installer with the now de funct ncb

I make you right there Gas Man spot on advice as usual , you were very fortunate with your training

Hello.New here but have had a simila system running 25 years .28 mm pipe from our log burner boiler just tee'd into main system.. barbaric but all upstairs works on gravity,, and if needed use gas boiler when very cold just treat the logburner as a blowlamp on a rad. Fitted a gate valve to log side so in summer can isolate it.. Works for us..

Thanks for the replies, Gas man can you tell me where I
can source steel F&E tanks

Len

ah now thats the hard bit in my case on the last fit there was one existing all i can advise is the net or approach a tank manufacturer

It's a bit more complicated than the linked site makes out,the 2 systems cannot just be teed together.The wood burner is an uncontrolled heat source and the system must be designed to accommodate the extra heat that can be generated.The 2 options I would consider would be a thermal store or Dunsley Baker nuetraliser.

[DLMURL="http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm"]dunsleyheat uk manufacturers of multifuel stoves, range cookers, boilers...[/DLMURL]

Having the system for heating only could be difficult though,the wood burner needs to be able to dump heat constantly,maybe a thermal store can still be used in this instance. Maybe someone else could shed some light on this.

My merchants sourced a fibreglass F+E tank,it's made from a much heavier gauge and is tested for solid fuel,I think it's made by Ferham. I have sourced a galvanised tank recently for use with a Rayburn,I'm not sure where it came from but I'm pretty sure it was a Scottish company,I can't find out until next week now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo027.jpg

I have done both systems, and by far the best is a thermal store (pic above) this one is combining solar and an oil boiler it has two 28mm valved and capped for future addition of wood burning boiler.

The solar heats enough hot water for the couple and do most of the heating in winter, exept on the darkest days with the oil boiler only coming on when nessessary as back-up.

Ideally it should have had a larger thermal store but space was limited.

Ps Lagging was done by the customer to help out ;)

The corner has now been made into an airing cupboard.

Eco

thats right thermal stores work well but the op is looking for a ch only set up,good advice getting the custard to lag pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
You could prob have two circuits joined by a...
Replies
Views
D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
D
https://salamanderstoves.com/product/small-stov...
Replies
Views
Are you controlling the stove flow temperature...
Replies
Views
N
Replies
Views
Back