Advice on lowering oil boiler output to better match demand | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on lowering oil boiler output to better match demand in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lebowski

I Would appeciate a few thoughts on what I should do with the following situation.

Recently moved into 400 year old house with 13 year old CH refit. Seems to be a good job but the Oil consumption is pretty high so I have been looking into the basics first before splashing out.

Boilder is 110Btu Trianco and the comissioning sheet tells me that it was about 85% efficient when installed. At some point the Burner has been changed to a Riello 40 GB3 and the balanced flue removed. Got it serviced by an OFTEC engineer last month before I moved in but don't have the paperwork to tell me what it is running at now.

Having done a quick check of the radiators, there is about 15kW, all on thermostatics, which is fine for a 3 bed cottage and it is plenty hot enough when running.

However, the boiler output is about 30kW from looking at the nozzle and burner data sheets and it cycles on and off every 5 minutes when running in steady state (timer only, no central or zone thermostats).

So does it make sense to have so much extra boiler output available or should I get the engineer back to fit a smaller nozzle and bring the output down to something more appropriate (20 kw?).

The boiler appears to be overspecified, cycling on and off 12 times an hour, and using about 20l of oil a day over 8 hours (2 morning, 6 evening) so i am wondering if I would get more life/lower running costs as a result.

Thanks for your advice.

There are a number of issues here, all rudimentary. I'll compile a response and post it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

So today the 1.65gph nozzle finally arrived...
Replies
Views
Wondering if the Pump is up to scratch?... 10m?
Replies
Views
P
If it's an old system then maybe gravity fed...
Replies
Views
As you radiators are working normally and...
Replies
Views
Who says they can only do emergency repairs...
Replies
Views
Back