Advice on topping up boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on topping up boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay091276

Could someone tell me step by step how to top up a boiler as I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The filler loop is already attached to the mains cold pipe, it just needs attaching to the central heating return pipe. When I take the nut off the return pipe, lots of water starts to drip out and doesn't slow down. I have tried attaching the filler loop anyway and then turn the valve to try and fill it but cold water starts spraying out of the filler loop, like there's loads of little holes in it, although there can't be as it was fine last time. It's like the water coming out of the return pipe is stopping the other water from going through and topping up.

what am I doing wrong or is there something wrong with the boiler? I want to top it up as the pressure gauge is between 0.5 and 0 although the heating and hot water seem to be working?!

Hello Jay, welcome to the forum.
if you could post a photo of the loop and fittings it would help.
the ch return is probably fitted with the double check valve that might have developed a fault,
but without seeing what you describe or having more details it is a bit difficult.

Hi thanks for quick response. It is a ProTherm 100e boiler. Have attached 3 photos, hope they're clear enough!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 27
The double check valve has failed. This sort of loop does not comply with the water regulations anyway so you need to swap it for a compliant one. This may require a partial drain down of the heating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I should have said "S-plan plus", of course!
Replies
Views
Thanks Shaun Much appreciated
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Baxi Ecoblue System boiler...
Replies
Views
What type of boiler is it?
Replies
Views
Thank you so much.
Replies
Views
Back