Advice on turning off water from Hot Water Cylinder in Townhouse | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on turning off water from Hot Water Cylinder in Townhouse in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

J

JimONE

Hi there,

I need to replace a washer on the mixer tap in our kitchen. Would be much appreciated if I could get some advice on the correct way to turn the water off / on. I live in a 3 storey townhouse, the kitchen is on the 1st floor and the Hot Water Cylinder is in the airing cupboard on the 2nd floor.

– When I turn the water off from the mains, which valves do I need to close off on the HW Cylinder? There are 3 on pipes connected to it and I'm not sure which ones I should be locking off – see photo attached. 1. and 2. are warm and 3. which is hidden at the back is cold. There is also a pump above valve 2. which I guess is there to help move the water up and down the house.

hot_water_cylinder1.jpg

– Once water is off. Should I just drain the residual water from the kitchen taps to replace this washer? or drain the bathroom taps and utility sink also?

– When I've replaced the washer, should I leave the taps open when I turn the water back on to prevent any air getting in the pipes?

Many thanks in advance
J

hi jim.
you need to be looking for a 22mm/28mm pipe coming down from the cold tank above, and feeding to the bottom of the hot cylinder. the pipe at the back looks to be the one, what is the 3 pointing to??
more/better pictures needed.
when you have found the right valve being able to turn it is another issue??
is there no isolation to the mixer tap pipes?

Looks like no3

Close that one.
Go to the kitchen sink and open the Hot tap.
Go to the bathroom and open either the bath or basin tap to let air in, you'll then get more water drain out at the kitchen sink.

Change the washer close the kitchen hot tap.
Upstairs, close any other taps you've opened.
Open the valve no 3.
Go to each hot tap in turn and open slowly till water flows then close.

hi jim.
you need to be looking for a 22mm/28mm pipe coming down from the cold tank above, and feeding to the bottom of the hot cylinder. the pipe at the back looks to be the one, what is the 3 pointing to??
more/better pictures needed.
when you have found the right valve being able to turn it is another issue??
is there no isolation to the mixer tap pipes?

Hi Simon,

Thanks for coming back to me, 3 in the original photo is pointing to the valve at the back, you're right, I can't turn it – some WD40?

Some more photos attached. Some showing pipe behind HW cylinder and some underneath sink. I can't see any isolation to the mixer taps. There is a small blue tap running from the cold pipe – but the pipe running directly off it goes to the dishwasher.

Cheers
J

hw1.jpghw2.jpghw3.jpgundersink4.jpg undersink1.jpgundersink3.jpgundersink2.jpg

be careful if you do start going a bit heavy handed on valve 3, they can drop so you cant open them again (sometimes). just turn the cold mains off and drain the loft tank aswell.

be careful if you do start going a bit heavy handed on valve 3, they can drop so you cant open them again (sometimes). just turn the cold mains off and drain the loft tank aswell.

Sorry, this may sound daft, but I'm new to this.

Do you mean turn the cold mains off and then turn on the hot / cold water taps in the house, until both the loft tank and the HW cylinder drains (not touching valve 3)? Then I'm ok to replace washer and re-fill the system.

(Obviously with the HW heater is switched off)

Thanks!
J

Buy a referb kit £14 ish. Turn of cold mains open all cold taps. Change guts. Now your familiar turn on all hot taps and just do hot with a bit of water coming out. No air locks no issues and beautifully working taps

Sorry, this may sound daft, but I'm new to this.
Do you mean turn the cold mains off and then turn on the hot / cold water taps in the house, until both the loft tank and the HW cylinder drains (not touching valve 3)? Then I'm ok to replace washer and re-fill the system.
(Obviously with the HW heater is switched off)Thanks!
if the cold main coming into the house is turned off, then yes open hot taps and you will empty the cold water tank that feeds the hot cylinder, dont worry about the heating, that is separate.
the hot water cylinder will still be full, it is the cold tank that would empty albeit through the cylinder,
thus using up any hot water.
when the cold tank is drained you then would be in a position to also swap the seized up gate valve

Looks like no3

Close that one.
Go to the kitchen sink and open the Hot tap.
Go to the bathroom and open either the bath or basin tap to let air in, you'll then get more water drain out at the kitchen sink.

Change the washer close the kitchen hot tap.
Upstairs, close any other taps you've opened.
Open the valve no 3.
Go to each hot tap in turn and open slowly till water flows then close.

aaaaannnnnndddd AIRLOCK!

In the bottom left corner of the 4th picture there seems to be 2 isolation valves. It isn't clear what these are for but may be a simple way around the job. Try giving the slots in them a quarter turn and check if that stops the flow from the kitchen mixer. I suspect it will.

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Contact them again and hope you don’t get the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not to my knowledge but they're not things I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Are you sure the taps arnt off the mains as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ya, they said the fact the anti-vibration...
Replies
Views
Back