Advice on working with a plumber. | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on working with a plumber. in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

G

Gozzy

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice. I am 25 and wanted to be a plumber for as long as I can remember, I currently work outside the industry and would like to take my step into it but I need to find someone to work with. I understand this is difficult and competitive but I just want to know, if I were to offer my services for free to a plumber, I have my own insurance and cscs card and technical certificate 6129, would it be likely someone would let me work with them so I could complete my NVQ? I have enough cash to support myself, very committed and very good at technical hands on work, Thanks for reading, any help and advice very much appreciated!

im sure theres plenty like you so you need to think of something that makes you stand out from the crowd.
make a c.v up get in your boots,hi vis and hard hat and go to the plumbers merchants and spend some time selling yourself.
you only need one person to give you the chance and maybe they will keep you on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also your better off seeing a plumber face to face so get yourself round to there offices, plumbers merchants like already said. Have you got a clean driving licence thats a plus. Say to them how many days you want that your free etc. Make sure you know what your saying before you go to them and don't worry to much you'll get knock backs but you'll get there.
Check out the gas safe website and the cihpe for guys local to you. That will give you addresses of the local plumbers and gas guy's so you can go round there houses, bring a C.V and a list of why it would be good to employ you. Knock first if someones in explain what your doing and leave the letter with them try twice before just posting the letter.
I know this sound like a lot to do but its quite difficult to get in this industry, and if the like me and you get a e-mail from a want to be apprentice you just delete it but if you meet someone and there smart look presentable even if you had nothing at the moment your more likely to take him on in future.
Good luck

Thanks Franky thats good advice, im very determined to do it so i shall put together a C.V right away, it seems difficult but as long as i know theres hope in that someone out there will eventually allow me to work with them thats great! Thanks!

i got into the trade by doing this. sent out over 400 letters and stood in the local merchants for an hour every other day. ended up working 2 days a week with one guy for 3 months then some one else took me on full time. that was 5 years ago now. never looked back since.

(it took me 18 months before i got given a chance but if you want something badly enough you will get it.......eventually)

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, looking to gain experience as a...
Replies
Views
Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You could wrap it with insulation tape to make...
Replies
Views
Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
Back