Advice please, bathroom fitter has dot and dabbed tiles! | Tiling Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice please, bathroom fitter has dot and dabbed tiles! in the Tiling Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Advice please, bathroom fitter has dot and dabbed tiles!

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please

My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor.

The fitter has done/hasn't done some things that I'm 99% sure aren't good practice, but he has convinced my Dad it is fine.

I have only done Able skills basic tiling course, but I was soaking up info like a sponge, so maybe I'm wrong, but so far my research and gut says otherwise.

The biggest issue I have, is that he has dot and dabbed the tiles to the wall. 800x800 porcelain at 8mm thick. His excuse was that the wall wasn't level, which is no excuse really because surely he should have leveled the wall before tiling. I called him out on it, he told my Dad it is perfectly fine.

He then proceeded to dot and dab the tiles onto the new wall that he built, which presumably is flat and level. Although he has done it in ply, which to my understanding isn't a suitable substrate for a shower wall?

There is no tanking on the plywood shower wall or under the bath.

I then came back yesterday to find the bathroom floor is about 16-18mm higher than the hallway carpet floor, which means a massive lip.

To top it off, it looks like the floor has been dot and dabbed too.

Some tiles aren't lined up properly or grout lines are different widths. Not big discrepancies, but considering the size of the tiles and there are only 6 tiles laid, seems a bit pony to me.

I've attached some photos. As I said, I'm a beginner when it comes to tiling, so help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advice please, bathroom fitter has dot and dabbed tiles! for more information

You may reply to this message here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
ah ok. Yes they are chasing in at the moment...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have recently done a similar job with drop...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you for the detailed reply. Yes it’s...
Replies
Views
  • Question
We did bathroom and kitchen renovation last...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, hope this is okay to post. Just over...
Replies
Views
Back