Advice please for new boiler and the job | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice please for new boiler and the job in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr.D

Please can I get advice on which boiler to choose. My situation is -
It is a small detached 3 bed Victorian solid wall house, originally 2, 2 up 2 down cottages knocking it one.
I current have a 30 year old boiler that needs replacing with tanks in the loft and bathroom.
my cold water pressure currently is stronger than my hot water pressure so when I run a shower connect to mains in the bath, the cold overpowers the hot and it is impossible.
At some pointin the next year I want to put a new bathroom and shower in, and possibly a second shower.

My options given are all Worcestor Bosch boiler, with new controls, power flush etc -
1) 42 combi in loft removing all tanks £3200
2) 30 combi in loft removing all tanks £2700
3) 15 fully pumped system boiler in loft and leaving tanks £2300

My questions are because I want to an extent be future proof, and it is a lot of money to spend, I am not bothered really by the tanks in the bathroom, just want your advice on which to go for? Regarding my hot water situation and new shower, and also costs, is it worth paying an extra £100 for a spirotrap?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Welcome along.

Are these your plumbers suggestions? What about the heating requirements?

Last edited:
Welcome along.

Are these your plumbers suggestions? What about the heating requirements?

Hi, Yes they are suggestions from the heating plumbing company that are doing the work. I have 3 bedrooms, 7 medium size radiators and 2 small radiators. I run through a calculator before and think it said 15kw needed...

You could go for an unvented hot water cylinder. Not cheap but very good system. So you'd still have the stored hot water and you'd have even pressure on the hot and cold water. Also you'd get rid of the tanks in the loft.

Unvented would be my recommendation as long as you have the required flow.

Do not fit a combi - not suitable in my opinion - combis are 4 flats and
small semi'...centralheatking
Please can I get advice on which boiler to choose. My situation is -
It is a small detached 3 bed Victorian solid wall house, originally 2, 2 up 2 down cottages knocking it one.
I current have a 30 year old boiler that needs replacing with tanks in the loft and bathroom.
my cold water pressure currently is stronger than my hot water pressure so when I run a shower connect to mains in the bath, the cold overpowers the hot and it is impossible.
At some pointin the next year I want to put a new bathroom and shower in, and possibly a second shower.

My options given are all Worcestor Bosch boiler, with new controls, power flush etc -
1) 42 combi in loft removing all tanks £3200
2) 30 combi in loft removing all tanks £2700
3) 15 fully pumped system boiler in loft and leaving tanks £2300

My questions are because I want to an extent be future proof, and it is a lot of money to spend, I am not bothered really by the tanks in the bathroom, just want your advice on which to go for? Regarding my hot water situation and new shower, and also costs, is it worth paying an extra £100 for a spirotrap?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

system boiler and solar unvented to future proof yourself, but i would avoid wb boilers for an intergas, less to break down

If the OP thinks the current quote is expensive then adding panels etc to the roof is going to drive e cost right up. Perhaps chuck in twin coil cylinder.

only suggesting using a solar/twin coil cyl for future proofing, not a massive cost implication

Has the water pressure/flow been tested. You can fit a 42kw boiler if you haven't got good pressure/flow to meet the demands of the combi then it is money wasted as it will not perform to its maximum.

Combis are 1bathroom boilers, if you have 2 as long as you are not using them at the same time it will be fine.
I don't really recommend combis for such jobs.
based on testing your mains I would want a unvented cylinder if it was my house.

You either need a 42kw combi or you need a 30. Don't understand why you've been offered both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
Test flow rate/pressure of your mains. If it’s...
Replies
Views
Yes you should be able to cut them off in...
Replies
Views
Back