Advice Please Main 30He Combi Boiler Not Firing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice Please Main 30He Combi Boiler Not Firing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

linsxxx

Hello,

We're having loads of problems with our boiler at the mo - been going on about a month now.

Basically it doesn't fire when we switch the heating on or when we use the hot water. There are no warning lights coming on (as indicated in the manual) or in fact anything odd at all other than it's not working!

It is very intermittent - sometimes if left it will fire up after about ten minutes - sometimes it takes up to an hour and a half. Sometimes it doesn't come on at all. It seem to be happiest firing at about two in the afternoon for some very random reason!

The first time it did it I called a plumber out who appeared to fix it - well he got the boiler working. Of course I now know that it can fire up spontaneously after about ten minutes anyway so I don't think he actually did anything as he couldn't tell me what he done when I asked him. When it broke again I called him back but when he came out it fired up first time (typical). He said he couldn't do anything until he could see it broken - but it's so temperamental I can't guarantee that it will be broken when he comes out (worked all weekend but not for two days before that).

I called Heatteam and they've quoted me £300 flat charge including parts regardless of the problem (that includes a 12 month warranty - but not a service or anything as far as I can gather). As I've already paid out for one person not to fix it I'm really loathe to pay so much - I could cry tbh. But I have three young kids and there is only so long we can manage with the boiler and hot water coming on when they feel like it!

I have no idea what the problem could be, how much it could cost or if the heatteam deal is good value or not. We've never had any problems with the boiler before now and once it's on it works fine - never cuts out.

The only other thing I should mention (because I have no idea if it could have anything to do with it) is that all our gas pipes in the street were replaced about a week before the boiler started acting strangely. They replaced the pipes to the house too and we were disconnected twice.

All advice appreciated - I don't know if I should hold out for the first plumber, go with heatteam or try someone new altogether... I would definitely feel happier if anyone had an idea what the problem could be and then at least I could judge the cost to fix it. Thanks!

Well dont go with heat team, B-gas do a fixed priced repair for £178 ish. It is difficult to say what is wrong without looking at it, but the first thing I would check would be the air pressure switch. Get your plumber back, if he know what he is doing he should be able to do some standard fault finding to try and work out what is wrong.

OK, first things first.

When the boiler fails to fire up does the hot water demand neon come on when you open a tap (second light from the left on the bottom row of four) or the heating demand neon light up when you switch the heating on (third light from the left, bottom row) ?

Dan

Yes there are four lights on the bottom. The first one lights green and then either the second or third depending on whether it's hot water or heating. Both light and stay on and the fan comes on (at least I presume that's what the noise is). The manual says that if there's a problem with the pilot light the last light should come on red - but it doesn't - it just doesn't come on at all until it fires up as normal and then it's the normal colour (orange I think).

I have no idea what an Aps is - is it expensive/complicated to fix? Part of my dilemna is wondering if I need someone who specifically know's this boiler better than the guy who came out the first time. I don'd mind paying for it to be fixed - just can't afford to pay the wrong person and then have to pay again...

aps>air pressure switch,very common to fail on your boiler,cheap part but not a diy fix

OK, if you have demand lights > fan startup but boiler is going no further then, as Gas Man says, it is likely the air pressure switch.

I have installed about five hundred of these boilers either as a Main 30HE or Baxi 105HE (same boiler) and I replace air pressure switches at the rate of about two or three a month. To give you some idea I charge £69.75 inc vat to change one, including the part.

Maybe you could tell your original plumber that you've called Main helpline and they've suggested it may be the aps - it would give him something to start with if he's not too familiar with the boiler. Just one thing though - they've recently changed the make of switch and he will need to pay attention to the wiring connections when changing to the new one as it would be easy to disconnect the old one and then get into a muddle when reconnecting

Dan

Oh brilliant thanks so much - I know it sounds daft but we've never needed a plumber before - so have no experience. And I lost a little faith with the guy who came out for various reasons and would just feel more confident having a rough idea. Hopefully you saved me a lot of money too cause I was v close to spending £300 - am so fed up with the whole thing. Thanks again :)

Just wanted to say a BIG thanks. Called a couple of different plumbers last week and described the problem - and went with the one who also suggested the air pressure switch. He came out on Friday and took 15 mins to change it. £85 (maybe you need to put your prices up) but very good, knew what he was doing and we are now WARM! Hurrah!

Really appreciate the advice - it made such a difference. We don't have a lot of money and I couldn't really afford for someone to get it wrong again. Thanks again :)

..... He came out on Friday and took 15 mins to change it. £85 (maybe you need to put your prices up)....

Hmmnn....maybe you're right ! Come to think of it, the Bentley Continental GT's a couple of years old now....reckon I could do with a change.....:p

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Back