advise required for Repkacement central heating | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss advise required for Repkacement central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldieone

I have an old 30 year Ideal E-Type boiler supplying a vented Hot water tank and then radiators via 8mm micro bore. The boiler is now failing and the 3 port switch lets CH and hot water passed it with the lever at the left as you look at it.
So although I am 73 I feel I need to replace this system, which I will get a central heating person to do. However I would like to let him know what I feel I would like as the replacement.
So my questions are:
I want an intergas boiler that I intend to move from the utility room to a small loft above.
I want to put the hot water cylinder in the large loft (It’s in the upstairs cupboard at the moment) do I specify something like the Fortic F3 indirect combination vented unit which has a cold water tank attached on the top so I can do away with the old plastic cold water tank or is a sealed system a better bet?
I hate the 8mm connection to all the radiators from a manifold upstairs but my wife doesn’t want 15mm pipe coming down the walls downstairs. Will 8mm be sufficient to keep us warm as the old system is not very hot?
My present hot water tank has a backup heater element that is powered by my PV system and I wish to keep this option.
Do I need to change the radiators?
Sorry so many questions but I don’t want to get it wrong and I’m not an expert like you lot.
Alfie

if your not warm enough now the rads and system need upgrading. Why in earth put a boiler in the attic when you 73, how will you get replace fuses, adjust clock etc etc. small loft equals harder to install and sercvice and will cost more to do. sealed system and unvented is the way ahead. best to get 3 quotes rather than finding the ultimate solution on here as we cant see any issues, test mains pressure etc etc.

I repair heating systems every day.
If I come across equipment in lofts then the price goes up accordingly.

Bear this in mind before you squeeze your boiler and cylinder into inaccessible places.

makes my head and kness hurt £50 plus and remember you cant watch the engineer working on your boiler :)

Last edited by a moderator:
you saying I'm statuesque like croppie?

To be fair I am told that I am the ideal weight but about three feet too short.

Since the OP is 73 years young, I would ask if he would be happy to work in the locations he is proposing to site the boiler and cylinder.
I think not.

Thank you lame plumber and mountainman for your inputs. I agree with your 1[SUP]st[/SUP] statement it’s just that I wanted to know what to ask for on the quotes. However I have 2 lofts both boarded and 14 ft in high so you can walk around them and access is via good ladders. I would like the boiler in the small loft to get it out of the utility which means moving it up 15 ft. I would be happy working where I have said with the boiler in the smaller loft and the H/W tank in the large loft. I’m also not infirm (yet). I can run a fair distance, drive a car, do the garden and fly a plane but let’s get back to the request. What I should have said is what do you think of the intergas boiler, and because I want to run the boiler off of my 10KV PV in the summer via a normal tank electric heater what would the best tank be. If I place the H/W tank in the large loft it will be on a level with the Cold water tank can I get a H/W tank with a cold tank on top so I can do away with the plastic cold water tank. Mains pressure is 3.1bar. Lastly would you keep the 8mm pipes as the wife doesn’t want 15mm pipes run down the wall!
I do appreciate your inputs and apologise for not giving you enough information.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can post here , and some one local to you will help you out with visit and a quote/estimate for doing the work for you

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

one and an en-suite. But only 2 of us in house as children have flown the nest

so if you have a good mains pressure and about 19L of cold water coming you can do with a Combi boiler and forget about the cylinder as fortex are only for small flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old 3 story property with...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
Back