Ageing Potterton boiler - it ain't broke, should I change it? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ageing Potterton boiler - it ain't broke, should I change it? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark4

I have 28KW Potterton Suprima 100 open vent system that the believe is about 10-15 years old. While it works and is never known to have failed, I am considering replacing it, for something newer, and more efficient. I was thinking of one of these [DLMURL="http://www.potterton.co.uk/91.htm"]Potterton Promax HE Plus[/DLMURL]. I am under the impression Baxi is a decent manufacturer.

I haven't had the existing unit serviced for a couple of years.

Is it unneccesary to replace it?
How much more efficient are newer models?
The boiler appears to cost between 700-1000, but how much would a typical installation cost?

A bit more info - I have a 4 bed house with 1.5 bathrooms and a 3 bar pump on the shower. Some of the radiators furthest from the boiler don't get very hot, and the boiler sounds like its running all the time despite the timer being set to a few hours twice a day.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered surveying the house with a view to adding/upgrading the insulation and heating controls ?

Worth changing for a new high efficency Condensing boiler Baxi Megaflow 24 KW would suit fine
Consider upgrading controls as well as suggested . Fit it out as a sealed system but check condition of existing rads and pipe work befor doing anything
Suprima. a good bolier with cast iron heat exchanger ,but older boiler do give problems with electrics/electronics Low efficiency values as well New one will give 25% back on fuel costs per year/

Replacement control board alone is 280 Euro. Baxi sold in Ireland at 800 -900 euro (special offer)

Act quick to secur the offer in UK as well, Worster are offering discount as well
Your local gas safe engineer will look at your sysyem and give an over all quote I

Have you considered surveying the house with a view to adding/upgrading the insulation and heating controls ?

agree would look at system controls for savings before replaced boiler

New one will give 25% back on fuel costs per year/

think we mean up to 25% can be saved from replacing very old boilers,you will not save that much changing existing suprima for he model,will not pay for it self,I would advise waiting until you need to replace
imho

if you are going to do it do not leave it till winter comes ! get your local gas man to give you a quote ant take it from there !

power flush if system is old and not serviced , new TRV rad valves ,new programer and room stat !

I personally do not advice of pressurising and old open vent system !

Thanks for the quick replies.

In answer to your questions - the house is a 1890's mid terrace. We recently insulated the loft with 300mm of insulation, and the main bay windows are double-glazed, but most of the other windows are regular single-glazed sashes in reasonable shape. Cavity insulation is out due to the age of the house.

All the rad valves were replaced with thermostatic items last year - and the central heating system was completely drained. Still have some luke warm rads.

I wanted to change the boiler as my wife and I have a new baby and I'm just worried its going to fail right at the worst time (don't they always?). Call it preventative. I have a little spare cash, and if I was to do it, makes sense to do it now rather than wait till winter. With the recent hike in gas prices, any efficiency saving would hopefully help justify the install in future years.

Would a new programmer and thermostat make a difference?
Can anyone recommend any models?

Thanks again

I would recommend Honeywell (personl choice ) !If you have not got a fitter , you can list your location and gas fitter member here will provide you with competent service at the right price !

I don't think changing the boiler will necessarily cure the problem of the rads not getting hot enough, sounds more likely to be a system issue.
Honeywell controls I'd advise too and I think most would offer the same advice, whilst they might not recommend them they certainly wouldnt say not to fit them.
Worth getting a few quotes if I were you, find which boiler you fancy and possibly get an accredited installer for the extra warranty, we do Worcester and it's currently 6 years.

if it isnt broke why change it id get some one to look at luke warm rads its possibly a balancing problem turn all the rads of except the worst one and see if it gets hot then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Under the Energy Price Cap rates from 1...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
Back