Air Admittance Valve to stop the bad smells | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Air Admittance Valve to stop the bad smells in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

S

ShowerSmellProblems

Hello all,

We just finished renovating our house and there are some issues with the plumbing: that is, our shower has a terrible smell. During the renovation, we had a last minute change to move the toilet down the hall. Although it is a new renovation, we did clean it to make sure there is nothing lodged in the drains etc. From what I read online and watching youtube videos, it seems that the trap is having air intake issues and a potential solution is an air admittance valve.

In my logic, it seems that by extending the stack, the toilet, when it flushes, seeks air and disrupts the shower trap. Even though the smell is coming from the shower, placing a air intake valve at the toilet would make sense. Since our toilet wall is dry wall, it would be easier to pierce into this then the bathroom tiles.

I believe our contractor wet-vented and I drew up the diagram as follows:
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AsMANTjTuIawMo8CxEfAN4Cm5jDeRkuW/view?usp=sharing

• could the Air Intake Valve work in this way?
  • would it reduce the smells we are experiecing?
  • is it better to put it at the toilet rather than the shower?

Kind regards and much thanks!

When you flush the toilet, do you hear any sound from the shower trap?
You should hear something or even see some water movement in the shower trap.

Is the stack vented?

You may be able to fit and AAV on the basin waste downstream of the trap, under the basin.

Not sure why a vent was not installed at the time when the sewer pipe was installed.
What's the length of drain from the stack to the pan?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for the advice... makes total sense...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I am glad that you got rid of the smell :)
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Everyone, We have a new house that may not...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not if you’re joining up with the old one. I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
L
  • Question
The toilet waste needs to have a drop always...
Replies
Views
Back