Air locks in hot side gravity system. | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Air locks in hot side gravity system. in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Radioman

I have a repeat call back to a propert where after 4 to 5 weeks the hot stops flowing. All I do is back flow mains cold through a kitchen mixer and bingo it works. But what's causing it? We have 50 gal coffin tank in loft new 48 inch hot cylinder , triton power shower in en suite leccy shower in master fed from Teed off cold supply to tank, bath bog and basin in master. Only 2 occupants. Vent is clear all gates replaced with full flow ball lever, supply tank ball valve replaced. Tenant assures me only 2 residents living in.

My theories are. Supply of mains cold in the house is 15mm so when leccy shower running tank main is starved causing drop in level. Power showered is then run at same timecwhich drops level further causing low flow in hot due to no water in loft tank.
Or tenant is turning boiler and tank stat up causing a problem there. Any ideas

Second tank. Had to do the same in a nursing home. About once every 3 months, turned out it was when the two baths were filled at the same time. Extra tank fitted about 18 months ago and never had to go back for that problem.

Try it!! Run shower and run bath and hey presto you will have answer!!
If not this then check vent is high enough above cwsc and hot feed is raising up until it goes to hot water supply pipe.

where does the hot come from for the power shower. is there a pump? connection via flange or if teed of hot distribution in which position?

i would check the ball valve orifice for crud a small bit will be the diffence between the tank keeping up and notive fitted two ballvalves or a three quarter one before now

where does the hot come from for the power shower. is there a pump? connection via flange or if teed of hot distribution in which position?

Hot comes from T on 1st draw off hot supply 1/4 below top of the cylinder. Shower is Triton with built in pump so gravity to shower which then pumps. Second shower is leccy with 15mm teed off 3m from tank fill ball valve. (Previous install by non qualified bathroom installer now retired)

Last edited by a moderator:
If not this then check vent is high enough above cwsc and hot feed is raising up until it goes to hot water supply pipe.

Vent runs in 22mm up into roof pitch 1m above cold tank then down to tank which is by law 30. Hot feed comes up from top of cylinder 40mm then horizontal to hot supply.

Worth noting that this problem went away for 7 weeks after we fitted new 48 in cylinder in lieu of old 36. At the same time the power shower was re plumbed as it had really low feeds. Also we reset the boiler and tank stats to give correct water temps for ch and HW with thermometer. Tenant now admits that directly before this event he turned boiler up from 3 to 6 and tank stat up 10 deg as the power shower was not getting hot enough for the missus. Next thing that happened was air cavitation in shower followed by no hot out of taps. I reset temps on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
That's great - thank you
Replies
Views
  • Question
You’re a genius, thank you! Held my thumb over...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ya, they said the fact the anti-vibration...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It could be best to get him back to have a look
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks very much for all the advice John, it's...
Replies
Views
Back