Air noise from hot water cylinder when boiler on | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Air noise from hot water cylinder when boiler on in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robdav

I’ve just moved into a house that is suffering from air rushing/bubbling noise in the hot water tank when the boiler is on heating the hot water.

The boiler is an old oil fired Camray Quartet, I think, as only the manufacturer name is visible with no model number. There is a Zilmet expansion vessel by the boiler. The hot water system is a vented cylinder as there is a pipe leading from it up to the header tank in the loft.

I’ve read many posts and I don’t think it’s air in the hot water tank as there is no banging noise from the pipes and all hot water flows well without any air bursts. When the hot water is being used (as opposed to being heated) there is no abnormal noise other than the tank re-filling.

It seems to me that there is air inside the heat exchanger within the tank/hot water coming from the boiler. Does this seem correct? If so, how can this be remedied? Is there a vent somewhere for the hot water system? There is a pipe that runs up the side of the hot water tank with what looks like a radiator valve on the top.

Many thanks,

Rob

Call in a plumber it needs a good clean, your boiler is kettling :)

Given it is 15 years old then I think it's time for a new boiler for better efficiency etc.

Should I get the whole system flushed through (including radiators) prior to commissioning a new boiler?

Cheers

Rob

yes u will have to power flush the system before a new boiler other wise it could invalidate the warenty if you mean just changing the cylinder then yes flush it anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Would an open hot water tap / open radiator...
Replies
Views
Im 99% sure its not the pump sound. just...
Replies
Views
Have you considered a faulty by-pass valve or...
Replies
Views
Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
Back