Alpha boilers any good? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Alpha boilers any good? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danny25

The local Alpha rep is trying to get me to switch to using there boilers, but i havent ever fitted one. I fit Baxi mainly with the odd worcester or Valliant. The rep is offering a 7 year warranty which is very appealing, but like i said havent fitted one so just asking for your opinions on them? Cheers

Future maintenance wise the new ones are a disaster, poorly made imo. The old ones (band D's) are decent enough, very similar to alot of baxis as in the hydraulic sections are the same etc.

They are prob easy enough to fit but I reckon the end user would curse u for recommending a new alpha to them. .
I've not been impressed with the newer ones at all .

I agree, not very reliable, leaks are common.

It would take alot to switch from Baxi as we get great service and support and the odd freebie spare here and there. From what im hearing already Alpha doesnt sound very promising.

Rubbish wouldn't my trades men wouldn't even look at them twice though people have different views

Only ever worked on one, but it seemed pretty rubbish. Was an old thing, but judging by the tech they'd used it was behind the rest of the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
danny what part of the country are you from?

They are OK, as others have said though, the spare parts will be expensive and no doubt it will leak!!

1st Intec we fitted did!!

It seems that everyone has got their favourite boiler , at the end of the day they are all much the same , all got bad points and good, most now have 5 year + warranty, do-not think customer cares what is fitted in as long as price is right, just fit what customer wants its their money ! if fitted right then for next 5 Years its manufactors problem if if stops working, so why worry about it, fit and forget.

Sorry to drag up a week old thread - but I'm going to play devils advocate here :devilish:

'My' heating engineer has swapped to Alpha's for over a year now - and is offering an 8 year warranty/guarantee. Seems the customers like this selling point as he's never short of installs!

So my question is really, why do I read nothing but derogatory opinions on them (Alphas!) when the manufacturers are giving such a long 'peace of mind'....??
He has even fitted one, complete with the solar kit, to his own house - so it can't be all that rubbish can it?? I've seen 'under the hood' whilst he's been installing them and I can't say I can see much 'plastic tat' inside the case - all seems pretty pukka.. so why do they get panned?!?!?

Anything specific that causes such opinions??

All insights gratefully recieved - as I'm toying with having one myself!

Russ

Sorry to drag up a week old thread - but I'm going to play devils advocate here :devilish:

'My' heating engineer has swapped to Alpha's for over a year now - and is offering an 8 year warranty/guarantee. Seems the customers like this selling point as he's never short of installs!

So my question is really, why do I read nothing but derogatory opinions on them (Alphas!) when the manufacturers are giving such a long 'peace of mind'....??
He has even fitted one, complete with the solar kit, to his own house - so it can't be all that rubbish can it?? I've seen 'under the hood' whilst he's been installing them and I can't say I can see much 'plastic tat' inside the case - all seems pretty pukka.. so why do they get panned?!?!?

Anything specific that causes such opinions??

All insights gratefully recieved - as I'm toying with having one myself!

Russ
are you a alpha rep russ?if you have seen under the hood go for it

stay well away... absolutely rubbish!

Mikeh - this is what I'm querying - WHY does everyone say they're rubbish???

tat tat tat and tat

never fitted one, nor will I.

Older alphas like the ocean etc were not too bad, from a servicing point of view. CB50 storage wasnt bad either, performance wise.

But the newer ones just look awful, once you get inside.

Unfortuantely, it is one of those names that as soon as I hear ' oh its an Alpha', my shoulders slump and my demeanour changes

jus very poor quality.. plus, they're nightmare to work on when they're broke.

... and the parts are expensive also. Have the delight of looking at a leaky one tomorrow :sad_smile:

LOL, to most of the replys, you can send them my way if they are in Kent!!:ciappa:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Thanks for your replies guys,one selling point...
Replies
Views
Not strong enough Just badly designed I think
Replies
Views
Worcester Bosch - Vaillant - Baxi - Potterton
Replies
Views
I also thought it was 10:1, for the 4000 and...
Replies
Views
Back