Alpha CB24 Flashing Indicator Neons, No Hot Water/Heating, please help? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Alpha CB24 Flashing Indicator Neons, No Hot Water/Heating, please help? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

D

dave1066

On Sunday I discovered my Alpha CB24 had no power. On inspection, the main terminal fuse had blown. With a bit of trial and error I found that disconnecting the fan from the circuit board and replacing the fuse powered the boiler back up. So I replaced the fan Monday. Everything worked fine for a night and day, then on Tuesday evening done the dishes and we had hot water. Then 10 mins later go to run my daughters bath and theres no hot water. When you turn on the heating or run a hot tap the boiler makes a noise like its trying to do something and then the yellow and red indicator neons start flashing together.
Please can anybody help?
Thanks

Hello, thanks for your welcome and reply.
Backround, I am studying to be an automotive engineer and a dab hand at most things DIY. Just trying to see if the boiler is fixable myself before I call in the pro's.
I would also add that the new fan isn't spinning. Any ideas what it could be?
Reading around sounds like people are saying new PCB, but im just hoping it's not as they are not cheap.

I was afraid you might say that :sweatdrop:
How much is a new PCB do you know? Is it just a case of swapping the board over or does it need to be programmed aswell? How long should it take to fit a new one?

Only asking as British Gas quoted £199 for a 1-2 hour job inclusive of any parts. Which sounds like a good deal if a PCB alone is £150. But if the job takes longer than 2 hours then it's £419 which I can't afford.

Only asking as British Gas quoted £199 for a 1-2 hour job inclusive of any parts. Which sounds like a good deal if a PCB alone is £150. But if the job takes longer than 2 hours then it's £419 which I can't afford.

Get a local guy or post a requests here dave [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas engineer.[/DLMURL]

Thanks for the info Alpha Man.

Diamondgas - Im all for using self-employed/small businesses over corporates. I am self-employed myself and have many friends/family who are local tradesman but sadly none of them Gas Engineers.
However I dont think a local guy would benefit from taking on my job? As I was thinking of returning the new fan I bought (£114) calling out British Gas for there all inclusive £199 deal to get both the fan and pcb replaced. The jobs probably going to cost them more in parts.

Record the time they're their Dave, should you choose BG even get the guy to sign an agreement time arrived and left! .. Although you shouldn't have to as they're timed to the minute via their computers :)

Good idea, thanks for the advice
All depends on if I can return the fan tomorrow morn. If I do call BG out should I leave the boiler with the casings off so it saves them time or should I put it all back together and pretend i've not touched it? :wink_smile:

Good idea, thanks for the advice
All depends on if I can return the fan tomorrow morn. If I do call BG out should I leave the boiler with the casings off so it saves them time or should I put it all back together and pretend i've not touched it? :wink_smile:

Be honest wiith the guy and it'll shorten their time Dave ... I've wasted loads of time beating about the bush only to find out that the customer has tried/tested but afraid I'd say something ... Your input reduces the time spend getting to the bottom of a fault ..... We can discern :)

Well I managed to return the new fan and get a refund.
I phone BG and arrange a visit and tell them to bring a fan and PCB when they come round.
BG engineer has been to diagnose, didn't bring any parts and puts the fault down to being the fan. Regardless of me telling him I have fitted a new fan and there is another fault. He can't get parts till tomorrow.
He then goes on to tell me that the all inclusive parts quote only covers the fan and I will be charged further for more parts if needed.
So it's gonna cost £199 for him to come back tomorrow, fit a new fan maybe check the air pressure switch but if that doesnt work gonna cost more.
I'm not sure what to do? Cancel BG and fit a new PCB today myself and hope that fixes it or see what happens tomorrow?

On Sunday I discovered my Alpha CB24 had no power. On inspection, the main terminal fuse had blown. With a bit of trial and error I found that disconnecting the fan from the circuit board and replacing the fuse powered the boiler back up. So I replaced the fan Monday. Everything worked fine for a night and day, then on Tuesday evening done the dishes and we had hot water. Then 10 mins later go to run my daughters bath and theres no hot water. When you turn on the heating or run a hot tap the boiler makes a noise like its trying to do something and then the yellow and red indicator neons start flashing together.
Please can anybody help?
Thanks

Hi, if you look at the fault finding section of the manual for the CB24 and CB28 two flashing LED's at the same time will take you down the path of a faulty air pressure switch. In short, these do not regularly fail. What Alpha fail to explain is that the PCB is the likely cause and these are approx £180 to buy.

The good news is that you can repair them and it is nearly always the same component that fails - the Relay. The news gets better in that you can buy one for about £7.50 on ebay. Search for Takamisawa relay and you'll find them there. The job of replacement couldnt be simpler. Disconnect from the mains, disconnect the cables, remove PCB, heat the 4 pins on the back of the faulty relay (see pic - its the 3rd relay on the right) be careful not to overheat the conections when removing and use a solder soaker braid or solder sucker to extract the old solder, these cost aroud a £1.00 on ebay and then put the new one in (facing same way as the others) Reasemble in reverse order and you'll have a big smile on your face for days. Alpha CB24 CB28 PCB repair for less than a tenner. Winner.

Now Alpha wouldnt put that in their manual would they?

CB relay location_opt.jpg

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
Hi I bought a new unit and swapped the faces...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 100065
D
A
  • Question
Build your post count up to 10 + then send a...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
  • Question
I have posted the best sense that I can give...
Replies
Views
Back