Alpha CB28 Hot Water Problem | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Alpha CB28 Hot Water Problem in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Mick10256

Gas Engineer
Hi Guys,
called to investigate an intermittent 'no hot water' on the above so went armed with a new clip on microswitch thinking nice quick job to end the day. Wrong! Opened tap and pulled switch off boiler fired fine so me thinks diaphragm as pin seemed not to be moving. I've overhauled diverters before so no problem there. The problem which bothers me is that the plate HS gets hot, very hot, when the hot tap is opened but the water flows cold. Can anyone explain, 1. how the plate HS can get stinking hot but the water flows cold and 2. the pin from the diaphragm isn't moving to operate the switch but is diverting the primary flow. When the tap is closed the plate HS cools down so not a stuck valve! I'm assuming this is simple diverter where the pin from the diaphragm operates the flow switch and also activates the diverter valve plates. Anyone noticed this before with a simple diaphragm perforation? Thanks in advance.

Hi Alpha Man, the bit I don't understand is if the diaphragm is split, which I don't know yet, how the, we call them shuttle valves, is moving and heating the plate HE without operating the flow switch. And why the HE is very hot with a full flow of cold mains water running through. Very scaled plate HE? This is a very soft water area and it was intermittent until today so baffled! Before I order bits would like to understand and guarantee a fix.

Could be that the diverter itself has seized partially open to the PHE. Heat will bleed through to the PHE when the heating is running, as soon as you run the tap any heat in the PHE is gone and it can't regenerate fast enough.

Just a theory!

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
Are you Gas Safe Registered? If not please...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Problem found, it was a blockage... mostly in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You’re a genius, thank you! Held my thumb over...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Morning, he took it out from where it was...
Replies
Views
Back