Any ideas on how to drum up more work (newbie) | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Any ideas on how to drum up more work (newbie) in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

R

Rthorpeheating

Hi guys and gals,
first post on here so helloooo.

To the point....... Iam asking for some advice on how to get some more work coming my way.
Iam still a very new company (1y old now) i have a good word of mouth client base, a page on MyBuilder, 2 builders who use me for all their bits and i have only ever really had happy customers... iam well priced, take pride in my work, very friendly and proffesional. Iam a gas safe registered heating engineer, doing breakdowns, service, install, fires, cookers, central heating, water ect ect. I also do general plumbing ect... Last year (starting year) i was pretty busy and On the run up to xmas i was really busy, had 2 or 3 big jobs on (full systems) and plenty of little jobs, breakdowns, gas certs.....
January came and nothing!!!!! Since then i have been very quiet, had few boiler changes and system swaps. But its been dead in comparison, only reason iam still afloat is thanks to the couple of builders i do work for.
I know its still early days and it takes time to build up but iam looking for a little boost. Iam wise to all these dodgy companies who 'promise loads of jobs' haha!! I have toyed with the leaflet idea, but i can just imagine them going straight in the recycling box with the dominos pizza menus......

So with this in mind... Any ideas that can inspire this young go getter??
Thanks
Rob
R. Thorpe Heating

Get some good quality A5 cards printed. When you're quiet pound the streets posting them through doors. Chuck them through neighbours doors to where you're working. People are less inclined to chuck away cards and they stand out against the pizza leaflets.

Rated people biggest rip off going. Paid for a "lead" this morning (out of the free credit they give you, thats why im on the site because its free for a month) and the customer put down a bad phone number that wouldnt ring. 16 pounds + vat for nothing.

At the moment you cannot be found for plumbing and heating in the Biggin hill area through Google search, only facebook etc.So a good website with the correct "area" domain name would be a start.
Flyers are okay, but are disposable.
Fridge magnets are disposable, but less likely to be binned as they come in handy.

Rated people biggest rip off going. Paid for a "lead" this morning (out of the free credit they give you, thats why im on the site because its free for a month) and the customer put down a bad phone number that wouldnt ring. 16 pounds + vat for nothing.
Although some people seem to do well out of these types of site,my feeling is I would use them sparingly and if I was struggling.I have the impression that they somewhat price based so you can find yourself in a race to the bottom.There is of course the time waster situation where people are just looking for a quote as a bargaining tool.
For a new business you have got to where it took me 4/5 years.I think you should be proud of what you have achieved so far.
Build up a relationship with your merchant sometimes they will put your name about if you have a good reputation.See if any plumbers get offered heating work they don't want and offer a 'finders fee'.Some on here advertise very selectively e.g church magazines,local bowls club.Referrals are the key.turn nothing down within reason.For a new business you have got to where it took me 4/5 years.I think you should be proud of what you have achieved so far.

Similar plumbing topics

"strap wrench" or "boa" might help
Replies
Views
No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
Had this a couple of months ago. I send my...
Replies
Views
T
Stick with the financial security of...
Replies
Views
TomLane
T
P
I think employers in any field are looking for...
Replies
Views
Heat Kent
H
Back