Anyone Fitted A Bristan Clicker Bath Waste? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Anyone Fitted A Bristan Clicker Bath Waste? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi,

The fitting instructions for these wastes state that a rubber washer has to be installed between the waste and the inside surface of the bath. When this is done the waste sits slightly higher than the bottom of the bath. This results in a small amount of water being retained around the waste assembly.

A customer is unhappy with this and as the product has been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions I've suggested they take it up with the manufacturer as I can't be liable for this. Do you think this is fair?

The bath was in situ for 1 week prior to a tiled bath panel being installed, grouted and sealed in but they are complaining now all the work is done.

Oh how I long to not run a business at times!

Think that maybe there as been a bit of a clinker,the rubber washer sits under the bath and also seals the top of the combined over flow,a thin felt washer if provided sits on top :(
Even if bath panel tiled,should be made so accessible to taps and waste,so it can be replaced in a few years anyway when clicker breaks :p

Hi,

Here's the [DLMURL="http://www.bristan.com/WebRoot/BristanDB/Shops/Bristan/Products/INSTRUC.%20PDF-1058001-D2.PDF"]fitting instructions[/DLMURL], it is supplied with 3 identically thick rubber washers (have fitted quite a few of these and all washers are always the same thickness). The bath panel is fixed magnetically to the frame under the bath and silicon sealed in, just don't really want to cut and redo the silicone seal!

With the washer that's meant to be there the waste sits around 3mm higher than the bottom of the bath. Doesn't seem right to me but it's been fitted in accordance with the instructions.

PS Clicker part can just be lifted out of the waste and replaced separately, the design is actually pretty good imo, just this issue with waste not sitting level with the bath!

Last edited by a moderator:
why are you using the rubbers? i fit this waste fitting all the time principley because you can get spares of bristan after the event just use silicone

Hi,

1 reason. My public liability insurance is not valid if I don't fit items in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. The instructions make no mention of using silicone (which I know can be used on bath wastes and normally is) and instead instructs the installer to fit one of the 3 rubber washers under the waste body but inside the bath. If the waste leaked through the ceiling and into the floor below down the line I wouldn't be covered.

2 -

Hi,

1 reason. My public liability insurance is not valid if I don't fit items in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. The instructions make no mention of using silicone (which I know can be used on bath wastes and normally is) and instead instructs the installer to fit one of the 3 rubber washers under the waste body but inside the bath. If the waste leaked through the ceiling and into the floor below down the line I wouldn't be covered.

2 -
looks like in this case it proberbly will then and you can claim on your insurance.:)

in my case i will use my initiative and continue to glue then on with silicone.;)

interesting point though, usually good stuff bristan.
i fitted 2 a few months ago in gold plate at £40 each to a his and hers sinks, did the first one day, then the day after finished the other. it wasnt till my mate pointed out one was stamped bristan to the rim and the other wasnt, fortunately i dont think the owner has noticed.:(

Even if I used silicone the rim of the waste body is still about 3mm high, much higher than most other wastes were it's paper thin. This waste would still retain water even without the seal.

The owner has agreed that I've installed it correctly and we're going to try and chase Bristan regarding it - I agree that they normally do very good products which is why i use them. In this case I'm not convinced though.

Oh, the sink version works a treat by the way, the issue just appears to be with their bath clicker waste. Installed the sink one in their bathroom and they and I are quite happy with that.

Last edited:
csan you get to a mercahnt and see if they have one in stcok for you to view

You may have a faulty one

you also could have a dodgy bath here with an incorrectly formed waste hole that is not sunk correctly

Often I am supplied with cheap shed taps from a customer saying fit these will ya

and the base washer sites the tap 1mm off the basin meaning i take it off, through away the wash and use plumbers mait

each to there own

Update - have checked at my merchants and the one I saw had the same dimensions on the washer and waste body. The weird thing is that the waste is around 5mm higher than the bottom of the bath waste hole, the water still pools in the waste hole only but it is a bit unusual.

av always used silicone, as washer always leaks and used rubber washer on the bath underneath plus once yedone good job walked away after checking for no leaks ie filling bath a few times no one should need to claim of ye m8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Advice please. The overflow/control on the...
Replies
Views
K
What if the showers in the courner of two...
Replies
Views
S
I think the op gets the hint now. Thread...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back