Anyone fitting Glow worm combis? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Anyone fitting Glow worm combis? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Anyone fitting Glow worm combis?
I need a cheaper alternative to put on a quote with a Vaillant 824
Was looking at the Flexicom and Ultracom-2
Good, bad or average?

It can't be an Ideal as it's to replace an Isar
It must have a 15mm gas connection or the new kitchen will need to be butchered

I don't mind flexicoms they are my mid range boiler suggestion. I know they get a lot of criticism on here but I think a lot of the issues related to poor installation and poor maintenance. For my money they are a good no-frills boiler. ULTRACOM is also good however it is pig ugly

The Vaillant engineer I know hates them with a passion.

Ha ha the one I know also does. It's funny really as a lot of the parts are Vaillant

The Ultracom-2 looks very similar to the Vaillant ecotec

We're selling plenty. More Flexicom than Ultracom. Along with the Ideal Independent its the landlord boiler of choice for discerning landlords.

And we put an 30 SX in to heat our tradecounter, and it seems ok. The (Vaillant loyalist) installer who fitted said he was surprised how decent it was.

Good, bad or average?

the size of the gas connection should be irrelevant, if its 22mm nut put a reducer in it. the pipework is either correct or not tbh.

as for glowworms the last couple i fitted were over 5 years ago and they were horid things. Ive taken plenty out that have only been around 4-6 years old.

Ive fitted a couple of each, the ultracom 2 is far superior to the flexi com tho I don't rate neither, I gave glowworm a go few years back when ultracom 2 just came out but went off them, the flexi coms is there lowest budget boiler and ive had a couple customers bought them as travis perkins had them on offer for around £550 with flue n timer ,,, not a good boiler,, gas pipe wont matter as can be reduced , would only be issue if boiler was 22mm ,,Out of the 2 the ultracom 2

the size of the gas connection should be irrelevant, if its 22mm nut put a reducer in it. the pipework is either correct or not tbh.

as for glowworms the last couple i fitted were over 5 years ago and they were horid things. Ive taken plenty out that have only been around 4-6 years old.

In the Baxi instructions it specifies a minimum of 22mm all the way and into the boiler.

Ultracom aint a bad boiler, I would not hesitate to choose it over a baxi

I'd rather fit a cactus up my bum, logic + duotec or Vogue dude. Yes the isar/icos/istor/Esprit 2 were abortions but ideal have come on a long way since then :)

According to the rep ideal are now the second most reliable boiler in the uk overtaking vailliant

Good, bad or average?

yes ultracoms and ultimates with 5 year warranty are good value but I hate flexicoms .parts are expensive . you say 15mm gas combis need 22mm min

There is 22mm from the meter but it reduces to 15mm behind the kitchen unit below the boiler
I think im just going to quote with Vaillant Ecotec plus 824 and pro 24.

According to the rep ideal are now the second most reliable boiler in the uk overtaking vailliant

I wouldn't believe that statistic for a second. There are still too many Icos and Isars out there.

Where Ideal have recently overtaken Vaillant is in market share - figures vary and are contested, but I am pretty sure that Ideal overtook Vaillant in Q4 of 2014.

I wouldn't believe that statistic for a second. There are still too many Icos and Isars out there.

Where Ideal have recently overtaken Vaillant is in market share - figures vary and are contested, but I am pretty sure that Ideal overtook Vaillant in Q4 of 2014.

Whats the top five Ray? Sales that is.

Whats the top five Ray? Sales that is.

1. WB
2. Ideal
3. Vaillant
4. BDR thermea (inc Main, Potterton, Remeha as well as baxi)
5 Glowworm (inc Heatline)

Everyone else put together would make a poor 6th.

Of course, if you wrap Glowworm and Heatline together with Vaillant, that would put them back in the no 2 spot, but not (afaik) in the no 1 spot.

Another caveat - if you include BDR Thermea's turnover in spares and unvented cylinders (of which they are by far the UKs largest manufacturer) they jump to no 3, and possibly even no 2. But not on boilers alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. WB
2. Ideal
3. Vaillant
4. BDR thermea (inc Main, Potterton, Remeha as well as baxi)
5 Glowworm (inc Heatline)

Everyone else put together would make a poor 6th.

Of course, if you wrap Glowworm and Heatline together with Vaillant, that would put them back in the no 2 spot, but not (afaik) in the no 1 spot.

Another caveat - if you include BDR Thermea's turnover in spares and unvented cylinders (of which they are by far the UKs largest manufacturer) they jump to no 3, and possibly even no 2. But not on boilers alone.

Boo heatline!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

No taps or showers have been replaced. We did...
Replies
Views
Yeah, good shout. I will use the immersion...
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
I am looking to fit a remote controller for a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Update: I put up with the kettling noise for...
Replies
Views
Back