Anyone had experience of Homebase kitchens? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Anyone had experience of Homebase kitchens? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NeilFawcett

We were looking at a Wickes kitchen, but we've just realised that our existing wall units (which basically go all the way upto the ceiling) are about 93cm tall, whereas the Wickes ones are only about 73cm. So this means we'll be losing loads of space. eg: If we replace four cupboards, we end up with basically the space of three.

The only place we've found that offer taller wall units is Homebase. They offer 90cm tall ones.

Anyone had any experience of Homebase kitchens regarding quality etc? Or anyone recommend another supplier that offer good quality taller wall units?

Thanks

Homebase is a swear word on this forum ;) seriously though it is so much more expensive than everywhere elseI really dont know how they are still trading.

Homebase is a swear word on this forum ;) seriously though it is so much more expensive than everywhere elseI really dont know how they are still trading.
Well, I'd love to go to Wickes, but I just don't like the idea of spending X thousand pounds and ending up with a lot less storage space, because 20cm+ of space is wasted about each cupboard...

Plus that space above the cubboards is just going to be a dust magnet, so I'd love to fit the units straight upto the ceiling, just like our current units.

I've looked around and only Homebase seem to offer alternative high fitting units...

Price wise, they didn't seem more that Wickes?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you had a look at Howdens???
They have a lot of variants and if you know someone who has an account there you could save a lot of money.

i also fit kitchens and wickes are by far the better quality out of the chains.... solid backs on the units, excellent drawer soft closers, as well as top quality doors etc etc. try and find out who fits the kitchens for wickes as they are private intstallers as well. if your going with them as you probably would get it cheaper if you bought the kitchen but got the contractor to fit it privately, only thing you dont get is the 2 year warrenty on the fitting.... ah well said enough now ;)

not done one of there kitchens but im starting on one of there bathrooms tomorrow

Did 5 flats 3 years back and used homebase for the lot. Have an account at howdens so compared their prices as well . In all if you buy from homebase when they do their discount offers and 10% weekends they are cheaper than wickes and howdens. Only good thing about howdens are they are prebuilt! but unless you have a trade account they wont sell to those off the street.
:eek:
Another good thing about homebase was that they gave cashback vouchers against your purchases, and i got over £1500 back to spend again which they changed shortly thereafter to a max of £75 per purchase.
:)
Give them there due, all the kit arrived on time as per order and any damaged items (ones i dropped) where replaced no quibbling.

i also fit kitchens and wickes are by far the better quality out of the chains.... solid backs on the units, excellent drawer soft closers, as well as top quality doors etc etc. try and find out who fits the kitchens for wickes as they are private intstallers as well. if your going with them as you probably would get it cheaper if you bought the kitchen but got the contractor to fit it privately, only thing you dont get is the 2 year warrenty on the fitting.... ah well said enough now ;)

Aaaagh wickes kitchen fitters, or at least the old ones - they were the ones who used garden hose as flexible gas pipe to cookers, at least thats my local wickes manager told me:eek:

Have you had a look at Howdens???
They have a lot of variants and if you know someone who has an account there you could save a lot of money.
I'll give them a buzz tomorrow... Thanks... Fingers crossed...

And quality wise Howdens are good? Prices wise not too bad?

all the units are the same as far as i can remember except the major difference of cabinet thickness, cant remember the sizes possiblt 16 and 21mm . makes a lot of difference when you come to mount the doors though!!

I've fitted a CMK kitchen, from one of their cheaper ranges and it was no better or worse than a wickes. I fit a lot of Howdens stuff and they are good for the money and will do some cracking deals, all ex stock so you dont have to wait for any extra or missing bits, dont think they do 900 wall units though. Are you fitting it yourself ?

I've fitted a CMK kitchen, from one of their cheaper ranges and it was no better or worse than a wickes. I fit a lot of Howdens stuff and they are good for the money and will do some cracking deals, all ex stock so you dont have to wait for any extra or missing bits, dont think they do 900 wall units though. Are you fitting it yourself ?

Howdens unfortunately do not do anything other than their standard 720(?)mm units. CMK, as long as they're not too expensive (fingers crossed) should be OK then... Failing that, we'll have to go Wickes and spend X thousands pounds to get less room :rolleyes:

not done one of there kitchens but im starting on one of there bathrooms tomorrow

bathrooms are good too.... i fit them very often ;).

Howdens unfortunately do not do anything other than their standard 720(?)mm units. CMK, as long as they're not too expensive (fingers crossed) should be OK then... Failing that, we'll have to go Wickes and spend X thousands pounds to get less room :rolleyes:

howdens are 15mm chipboard, carcass with soft backs - come pre-made and are never square apart from that theyre great ;)

stick with wickes - you'll be happy.....

howdens are 15mm chipboard, carcass with soft backs - come pre-made and are never square apart from that theyre great ;)

Well, we'll lose too much space with Wicke's units... If CMK can do good units at a similar price, then we'll have to go with them. If they're loads more we'll go Wickes but be frustrated by losing so much storage space :(

I have just had a fright as one of the overhead cupboard doors from Homebase came off in my hand when I tried to close it. In my opinion these cupboards were not fit for purpose as the door was too heavy for the tiny screws holding it and the massive spring mechanism. I have reported these to homebase and think they should be recalled as dangerous. My kitchen has been installed for just two weeks!.
Well, we'll lose too much space with Wicke's units... If CMK can do good units at a similar price, then we'll have to go with them. If they're loads more we'll go Wickes but be frustrated by losing so much storage space :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
All done.
Replies
Views
L
Thanks Chris, Reg Man. That sounds ideal then...
Replies
Views
leighduffy
L
Back