Anyone here know of any perticular faults on these boilers? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Anyone here know of any perticular faults on these boilers? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I have just received a call from a customer who said she want's a boiler service, and that her heating is playing up. I asked her when did the heating start playing up and she said that she has just had an extension built and all the builder did is add a new radiator. And since then the boiler has been playing up. The heating comes on for 1hr and then just turns on again. It does not go to lock out and gives no fault codes. But it won't turn on again.

Are there any things I should be looking for with this perticular make and model?

What faults have you come across on systems due to builders?

The list if builders mistakes is too long , go have a looksie first

that is what am thinking of zeebeedee. I am still waiting for her to get back to me about the hot water. I am pretty sure she said it was running ok though

oh it looks like i have not put the make of the boiler, it is an Ariston Microgenus 24. Not the best apparently

Low burner pressure setting. Heating comes on high flame, reaches temp goes to low flame. Bp to low turns of. Hw ok because always on high flame. Pull one of te leads ofte gas valve to check low pressure.

Apparently she has had a new Victorian radiator put in. Am not sure if it's cast iron but am sure these ones are? Will those make a difference will it?

Low burner pressure setting. Heating comes on high flame, reaches temp goes to low flame. Bp to low turns of. Hw ok because always on high flame. Pull one of te leads ofte gas valve to check low pressure.

What gas valves are in these? That trick work on other valves or just this boiler?

Your talking about the modureg arnt you! Ignore me I've already got my coat

Apparently she has had a new Victorian radiator put in. Am not sure if it's cast iron but am sure these ones are? Will those make a difference will it?
Cast iron rads defo need to be flushed before the install. You’ll be amazed how much muck will be coming out of them during the flush.

Ok thanks Alexgas. I shall get the hose onto the rad and see what happens. Thanks guys. I shall also check bp and other blockages.

Well I went there today to look at this boiler and bp's were all good. Wp good. So what was happening is it would just start up and the temp would read 76 already and flow would be roasting but the return cold. And it would shut off straight away. A bit like zeebeedee had in another post. I connected a hose to Rad as no drain off and flushed through each rad separately but no muck. No filters on flow or return either. If it was on the flow, I couldn't unscrew the nut! But when I was flushing it the shower sign would turn on and then off on and then off. And after I ran the hot tap, the heating would always turn on, but turn straight off. When I left it was working a bit better than before. Is there a problem with the diverter valve? They have Had 2 new big cast iron rads installed and all the flow and return piping from the boiler is in 15mm? Suspect? There are only 5 rads in the house including these 2 cast iron ones.

Also the rads said that they had been flushed already on website. And they weren't reconditioned so shouldn't be sand blasted. Am still thinking that the 15mm flow and return is too small for the whole system though. Or could this work?

Defo circulation problems. The builder hasn't left dead ends somewhere has he? I'd run some x800 through it could be blocked in the boiler. When the boiler fires where does it get hot inside the boiler. Follow the pipe from the heat exchanger see where the heat stops.

which micro genus is it? The HE or the older one?

It's the he one. At one staget it was just getting hot in the boiler next to heat exchanger and then after a while it would get hot down the flow and cold on the return. On all flows to rads it was hot but only warm on the flow. They have just Had new floors fitted and it's all nailed wooden floors so difficult to inspect. I did ask them if the builder left pipe ends open while working, plastering etc and he said yes. Also while I was there and I got it heating up, when the trv closed, pipes started knocking. So they put on return rather than flow. I guess I might have to hire a power flusher I guess

As above circulation problem. I reckon the builders piped it wrong somehow. Either that or it's something like the divertor not opening properly. Perhaps temporary pipe a loop between flow and return to prove boiler.

Ok guys I shall go back and give it a go. I hope it is just a blockage and not incorrect piping. I don't think the custards will be happy when I say I need to maybe 're-pipe to rad surface mounted. Do you think that when I was flushing with mains water and the little hot water sign was coming on indicates a stuck diverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
What boiler eg make and model ?
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
With CH selected on, if you open a hot tap...
Replies
Views
Back