Anyone know of a reputable company in Birmingham who supply & fit boilers? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Anyone know of a reputable company in Birmingham who supply & fit boilers? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wise

Hi,

I have asked around and got a few quotes from GSR's in my area but I need a company who has a 5-star reputation to fit a decent boiler. A friend paid a GSR £2000 to fit a boiler and he says that he is not happy with the service he received. So to cut the story short, I need:
- a decent top-of-the-range boiler for my detached property. Something along the lines of a Worcester 42 cdi (any other brand/boiler recommendation?)
- a foolproof 7 year warranty which actually will be honored.
- a local company offered to include 4-year servicing in their quote on top of the 7-year warranty, so really would choose a dealer who offers this out of the box as need to just pay once and have no headaches for the next 5-7 years.
- of course, a boiler is just one piece of the puzzle. Need first class service when the boiler actually has a problem within the warranty period without having to fork out again and again.

About the property itself:
- 3 bedroom detached property
- might be extended in 3-5 years time (so hopefully suggestions can come in with that in mind).
- has a combi boiler fitted already which will need to be removed.

Budget:
- fair (market rate)

Last edited by a moderator:
get a 42CDi. To supply and fit should be around £2,700-£3,000. That is with 7 years warranty

I am in Croydon, Surrey, so no idea.
I think there is an area here where you can post and RGI's of the forum in your area will pm you and arrange a visit/quote.
Croppie, safegasinstalation, Emritrude, Tara Plum ...... and many others will point you to the area. As a newbie urn hear, I am still finding my feet regarding areas and navigation

thx. I thought this was that area.

at Mods - Please move this thread to the relevant area when I will get replies some the trades people. thank you

Too early in the day still, you should get some responses after 6 or 7 tonight I would think.

this is in the right area where village idiot means is here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] where you can put a request with your requirements and general location. there may be someone on here near to you.

this is in the right area where village idiot means is here

checked that sub-forum. I think I would rather just get dealer recommendations on this thread as someone may know some company in Birmingham who might not be posting on that subforum (if u know what i mean).

isnt there a wbsite where I can check reviews/ratings of local dealers? I know worcestor-bosch has a section on their site "finding an installer" but it only gives their contact info and not much else.

Word of mouth is the best way. Any of your friends, relatives or aquaintances able to recommend someone?

What I will tell you though is you couldn't do any better than get someone off here.

What everyone fears most is a bad rap on these forums for us all to see!

isnt there a wbsite where I can check reviews/ratings of local dealers? I know worcestor-bosch has a section on their site "finding an installer" but it only gives their contact info and not much else.

A good proportion of the recommendations you will find on some websites are not worth the 'paper' they are written on?
As Croppie has said, you can't beat word of mouth. 80% of my business is generated through word of mouth.

just remember most firms willl warranty their work for a year, the manufacturer warranties the boiler for parts and labour for say 2 years then parts only and you pay to have them fitted. Re servicing if you think £2K will include 4 services as well, then you'll be very lucky to find anyone offering that. If you can find anyone offering what you want then get it written in stone as I have yet to see many firms offering what you want for a reasonable price, your best bet is to go bg and pay there regular fees for cover then you may approach your impossible dream.

Why not go with the local company that offered the 4 year service? To offer that at a guess they would just add £250-£350 on the quote.

Most decent boilers come with a minimum 5 year guarantee. So if something did go wrong it would be down to the manufacturer not the installer.
You want the boiler to be fitted by a trustworthy company who will fit the boiler to manufacturers instructions or the warranty ain't worth squat, fit a filter, have it flushed out and that should see you through a few years.

'a local company offered to include 4-year servicing in their quote on top of'

Personally I wouldn't worry about paying anybody for an annual service contract because there is very little actual 'servicing' of combi boilers going on these days. Get it checked over every year, absolutely, but get what is known as a Landlords Certificate where FGA and gas and water pressures etc are checked and confirmed as being within limits, and any GSR worth his salt will do that for around forty quid. I was warrantied with BG for a long time on my combi and once a year servicing consisted of checking as above and giving me a certificate - no tools in sight except a screwdriver to take the front cover off.

Post where are you based and someone from here will likely be close

I wouldn't worry about servicing of a new boiler, especially as WB one!

Except that you need annual servicing for your extended warranty to be valid. First service must be before the end of 12 months after boiler install.
Always read the small print!

Yes we know WB usually honour their guarantees without checking the paperwork but rules is rules. They don't have to.

To the OP I would say I agree with everything Lame said.

'a local company offered to include 4-year servicing in their quote on top of'

Personally I wouldn't worry about paying anybody for an annual service contract because there is very little actual 'servicing' of combi boilers going on these days. Get it checked over every year, absolutely, but get what is known as a Landlords Certificate where FGA and gas and water pressures etc are checked and confirmed as being within limits, and any GSR worth his salt will do that for around forty quid. I was warrantied with BG for a long time on my combi and once a year servicing consisted of checking as above and giving me a certificate - no tools in sight except a screwdriver to take the front cover off.

very interesting. I think I will get the yearly Landlords Certificate instead for 40 quid every year.

Post where are you based and someone from here will likely be close

I wouldn't worry about servicing of a new boiler, especially as WB one!

Handsworth Wood, Birmingham. still looking for someone to install the boiler btw. getting quotes atm

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that you need annual servicing for your extended warranty to be valid. First service must be before the end of 12 months after boiler install.
Always read the small print!

Yes we know WB usually honour their guarantees without checking the paperwork but rules is rules. They don't have to.

To the OP I would say I agree with everything Lame said.
since wb boilers come with 7 year warranty, will I have to get the Landlords Certificate every year for the warranty to be valid for the next 7 years?

Ch power flushed professionally +boiler serviced + inhibitor topped up + ch filter + limescale reducer = 7 years

very interesting. I think I will get the yearly Landlords Certificate instead for 40 quid every year.

Handsworth Wood, Birmingham.

Can't fault this, Mrs Tara Plumbi is absolutely right:

'Except that you need annual servicing for your extended warranty to be valid. First service must be before the end of 12 months after boiler install. Always read the small print!'

And you must always do what you need to qualify for your manufacturers warranty, which may also be 'a service every 12 months' but at least you know a service will be done for the money you pay over, as opposed with going with BG, or CORGI homecare where annual services are no longer (it appears) de rigeur. As long as you are in manufacturers warranty you don't need to pay BG or CORGI over two hundred quid a year. Put the money in the bank and keep it there for repairs etc AFTER you have gone out of warranty - 7 years?

since I havent been contacted by a member on here yet, I will have to find a gsr on the gsr website and ask around. But was hoping to find someone on here as could have seen their feedback.
will wait a couple more days and then go for it. thx 4 the replies

Wise - I just realise you are in Handsworth Wood.
There is a plumber/heating engineer based on college road, opposite the college - well he was there about 8 years ago.

If he is still there I would employ him (in fact I have employed him in the past).
He knows his stuff and bought that builder's yard from my grandfather about 25 years ago. Of course, he might not be there anymore.

If you meet him do mention me He just might remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
Thanks. Surely some damage has already been...
Replies
Views
hello, old post but what did you go with in...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 131795
D
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
Reading this ordeal is like watching a horror...
Replies
Views
Back