Ariston Microgenus - repair or replace? | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ariston Microgenus - repair or replace? in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tenesmus

Hi guys

We had a complete CH installed in our 3 bed mid-terrace (8 rads) in 2002 including this boiler (don't know if it's a 23 or 27, it's not obvious) and it's mostly been ok - had an engineer out on average every 2 years to fix problems (mostly manifesting in cold weather when the red light comes on after running a bath - something which is still happening sometimes but we just hit the reset).

Anyhow - a couple of years ago the engineer (authorised Ariston chappy) suggested replacing with a Vaillant (I asked him what he'd fit in his own house). What do you think? Time to bin it, or just keep going?

And how much should I pay for supply and fit?

Cheers

Get it replaced. 11 years out of an ariston is fairly good going and if you're repairing bi-annually you're throwing good money after bad.

If you get a Vaillant make sure you get an EcoTEC plus and have it installed by a Vaillant Advance installer for a 7 year warranty.

Alternatively there are cheaper boilers out there that will be better than your ariston. I'm a big fan of the Ideal Logic+ with 5 year warranty.

There are too many variables to give a price out on a forum and its not encouraged. I'd say get your engineer to give you a quote, but since he fitted the ariston in the first place, I'm not sure he can be trusted lol.

Where are you located? I'm sure there are some people close to you on here who could probably give you a quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm inclined to agree with TB. 11 years from an Ariston is not bad going - it wasn't the worst boiler ever sold, but certainly not the best either.

Its impossible to give even a ball-park figure for costs over the internet without seeing the job, so get three quotes from reputable local installers.

If you ask 10 forum members "what is the best boiler" - you will get 11 different opinions. Both the Vaillant Ecotec Plus and the Ideal Logic+ mentioned by TB have good reputations.

I'd say get your engineer to give you a quote, but since he fitted the ariston in the first place, I'm not sure he can be trusted lol.

Heh. He's not the chap the fitted it - in fact he moans every time about the position it was installed in the airing cupboard, quite difficult to get at. Actually I just remembered the installer going away after completion and the first night there was a smell of gas... had to get him back pronto!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Dang, seems like point to point heat pump swap...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
  • Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Back