Asbestos in boilers | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Asbestos in boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave1

I've downloaded information of boilers with asbestos in them, what I would like to know is how do you know where it is before you open it up? And should you be opening up the case?

What do they mean by mastic containing fibres on the ideal mexicos?

Glowworm spacessaver is also listed but no components! Any ideas?

Glowworm spacessaver is also listed but no components! Any ideas?

As mentioned before zeebeedee, direct heat sources that require greater heat resilience needed the likes of asbestos to seal .... think 'Flippin Hot' area's such as lower burner box, upper gather chamber Burner door seals and inspection hatches etc... :D

Here's a handy link http://www.stop-think-asbestos.co.uk/pdf_downloads/GAS_ELECTRICALAPPLICANCESLIST.pdf Not sure of how up to date it is but can help you identify what to be cautious of in the older boilers!! :)

Usually the asbestos is present around the burner door seals and flue seals where direct heat from the flame is likely! Appliance case seals aren't usually in that vicinity :D

Thanks diamondgas. I found that link earlier.
Seems a bit of a grey area to be honest, your not going to know where the asbestos is until you've stripped it down and probably disturbed some in the process.

Thanks diamondgas. I found that link earlier.
Seems a bit of a grey area to be honest, your not going to know where the asbestos is until you've stripped it down and probably disturbed some in the process.

True regards disturbing ... I wasn't joking about the leak sealer spray! Best invention for keeping those pesky fibres from the lungs IMHO :)

What do they mean by mastic containing fibres on the ideal mexicos?

When they were new the joints between the sections were sealed with grey or pale brown mastic. You got it stuck all over you when fitting them. This mastic set quite solid with the heat.
If you look on the sides of the boiler (with the case off) you will see the set mastic. It is now rock hard and brown coloured.

just mask up and keep it wet,double bag and into the custards bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
Noisy Tap - Replace Breach??? Sounds like you...
Replies
Views
Via the filling loop
Replies
Views
Hi, thanks for the reply, that did cross my...
Replies
Views
Back