At my wits end with CH system | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss At my wits end with CH system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Evening all.

I have been helping a friend of mine at weekends to do his new kitchen. This has involved adding two new radiators. Both the new radiators are narrower than the old single panels So I have chased new pipe work into the floor to bring the rad tails in.

Did first rad last week all plumbed in no problem. The issue came when I had to refill the system none of the downstairs radiators would get warm. In the end I traced this back to the pump that was barely spinning. One new pump later and the system is working lovely.

Have gone back today and installed second radiator when I have refilled same issue no heat downstairs at all. Pump is working lovely and upstairs is toasty but down stairs no heat at all. Have had all radiators off downstairs no valves are blocked.

Can anyone offer me any ideas as this is starting to drive me a bit mad now as I've been here since 10 this morning. (Not just doing the radiator :wink:)

please help

Air locked, turn all the radiators of that are working. And keep turning the working ones of till you get to the last one. If it's a y plan turn the hot water of on the programmer.

I thought air locked but as I say all the valves downstairs flow freely, no coughing and spluttering all rads fill and bleed properly. If I open a valve downstairs eventually hot water will come out but rads don't heat once you connect back up

Sounds like you may have crossed pipes somewhere?
Literally nothing has changed with the pipe layout other than narrowing the distance between two rad tails :smile:

Make sure only the heating is on demand, shut off all rads except one downstairs and run till hot, open another one downstairs and shut first, carry on till all are hot.

If this doesn't work turn heating/hot water off and remove a downstairs rad and flush from both sides with a hose on the rad unions.

I thought air locked but as I say all the valves downstairs flow freely, no coughing and spluttering all rads fill and bleed properly. If I open a valve downstairs eventually hot water will come out but rads don't heat once you connect back up

Air locked as in a bubble stuck in the system, not "it won't fill" air lock. You have to push the air out by forcing the heat through by turning rads off.

Last edited:
Pair locked a in a bubble stuck in the system, not "it won't fill" air lock. You have to push the air out by forcing the heat through by turning rads off.
I'm with you. Cheers for explaining

Will just be an airlock as said. Close all working rads down and force the water to the rads which aren't working, just leave one on at a time until it gets hot then close and move on to the next one. Once all are hot, you may need to balance the system.

Try adjusting the bypass if no joy drain down and back fill see if this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Zone 1 does the whole house including...
Replies
Views
Thanks for letting us know.
Replies
Views
T
Get an acv cylinder. Great for boiler and work...
Replies
Views
Back