Back boiler advice please | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back boiler advice please in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chopper95

Hi Folks,

I am looking for advice on a coal fired back boiler. I have just bought a property that contains a back bolier behind my coal fire and I like the advantages of having one, just a few queries on the safety of it.

All is working fine, the water feeds in, is pumped out ok etc, I would just like some clarification for if there was ever a disruption to the system. In particular with the hard winters and the risk of broken pipes etc. If for example, a pipe breaks under your floorboards, would water drain altogether from the back boiler or flood the back bolier with cold water? And could it dry out or cause explosion because of breakage in pipework? Are there any safety mechanisms in place on the back boilers in the event of the pipework that leads in and out becoming broken? I don't have a lot of knowledge on back boliers so appreciate any advice on how they work.

Thanks in advance

Best advice i can give is get rid of it! They are a nightmare.

joe

it will never run dry because the f+e tank will continue to fill it so will flood your house, if will also not over heat because the over heat stat will kick in and turn it off, but as above im gas safe registered and i dont like them ! there never safe always something wrong safety wise with them......hope this helps

How can an uncontrolled heat source be turned off lol
There is no overheat stat on a coal fire
Think you must of miss read well I hope you did lol

the first heating system i ever fitted was solid fuel back boiler with a glass door, I think it was a Parkray, fantastic, we never ever did'nt have hot water, just a shovel full of coal, turned down low on the air inlet, great, no overheat stat, no thermal cutouts, just a bloody great pressure relief valve sticking out of the wall. This fire is no different from any other boiler if it has a burst. but I must admit that all the bursts attended there are,nt many on the circs. treat it with care.

most will have a pressure relief valve,but the flue must be cleaned quite regular depending on what fuel you use will mean more of a need for cleaning unlike gas once a coal appliance is lit you cant turn it off just down i would strongly advise you get a carbon monoxide alarm lots can go wrong with flues used for solid fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
B
I used to disconnect and drill them. The last...
Replies
Views
Possibly the OP is in a rural area?. One of...
Replies
Views
Back