Back boiler advice please | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back boiler advice please in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chopper95

Hi Folks,

I am looking for advice on a coal fired back boiler. I have just bought a property that contains a back bolier behind my coal fire and I like the advantages of having one, just a few queries on the safety of it.

All is working fine, the water feeds in, is pumped out ok etc, I would just like some clarification for if there was ever a disruption to the system. In particular with the hard winters and the risk of broken pipes etc. If for example, a pipe breaks under your floorboards, would water drain altogether from the back boiler or flood the back bolier with cold water? And could it dry out or cause explosion because of breakage in pipework? Are there any safety mechanisms in place on the back boilers in the event of the pipework that leads in and out becoming broken? I don't have a lot of knowledge on back boliers so appreciate any advice on how they work.

Thanks in advance

Flipping heck,you are panicking a bit,did the recent tsunami in Japan get you thinking
Back boilers are safe as long as installed correctly with nice open vent,if a pipe bursts,not that it probably will,you have a flood the same as any other pipe,will unit explode,no it will not,as pipes would still be open and no undue pressure build up,not staying it would do it a lot of good
If you are that concerned ,call your local plumber in the go through system with you,to put your mind at risk but probably find you are not on a fault line

imho

Thanks for the reply, I am actually happy with the system but my friend was a bit panicky about having one and I just want to put her mind at rest as she will be living with me. They just seem to get a lot of bad press but makes sense about the lack of pressure build up. I don't want to start digging the thing out and it cost a fortune if it is safe to have one.

i actually like the coal ones there grea, dont see many about now tho!

They are safe enough as long as some numpty has not been in about the pipework chopping and changing it.
30 years ago they were the main source of heating for most houses in Britain and people were not dying every other week. Ask an older neighbour or family member for some advice. Worst thing that can happen is a chimney fire (you will soon know if that happens, you'll hear it) but if it does don't panic. The chimney is built to take the heat. Put some damp dross on the fire to kill it and add a bit water if you like and the steam will put the chimney fire out. Get the chimney swept regularly and don't burn green wood.

my gran had one up to few years ago grhs, it always worked fine, don"t want any of that central stuff cave man managed with a fire, and i got hot water too!!! good old gran ( its still in the house yet and works)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
B
I used to disconnect and drill them. The last...
Replies
Views
Possibly the OP is in a rural area?. One of...
Replies
Views
Back